I Forge Iron

Help with fuel supply

Charles Weishuhn

Okay sorry if this is a dumb question. I've searched on Google and can't find much. I built a double burner for a forge I'm working on. The problem is the flame coming out of the burner is like a grill flame rather than a torch flame. I'm using a regular grill propane tank as the fuel source and there is no regulator on it at the moment. My question is, is the regular grill tank good enough for the fuel? Is there enough pressure in it? I have 0-60 regulator on the way but can it create higher pressure than it is receiving from the tank?  Thanks for any help guys I'm very new to this 

Where are you located? May have a seasoned member right down the street from you. Need a little more info. What kind of burners? What jet size?  If your not getting pressure from a direct hook up it has most likely triggered the safety valve. Did you hear a click when opening the valve?  With out a regulator you should have way too much pressure!   A pic or video would help a lot 

If you are using the regulator that came with the grill then that's the problem. The 20 pound grill tank is sufficient for a propane forge with a proper regulator, although the propane supply will not last long in forging hours. Some have used two tanks in tandem or use larger tanks like a 30 pound RV tank.

The burners are home made. 3/4 inch pipe nipples with a .035 might tip. I'm at work ATM so I won't be able to make a video. I didn't notice a click but I wasn't looking for one either. And there is no regulator at all at the moment irondragon.

But I did try it with he grill regulator on there and it gave me the exact same flame as with no regulator at all

Oh and jasent I am in the Sussex county nj area 

Welcome aboard Charles, glad to have you. Just take some pics, videos rarely tell us more than stills.

If it doesn't make a good flame with no regulator it's probably tripping the safety valve in the tank. Try opening it slowly.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Open the valve very slowly. Or simply get a larger tank. In my area anything larger than 5gal dosent need the safety valve. I use a 7 gal at the moment

also I don't see a needle valve on your set up. You'll def want to adjust flow as well as preasure

6 minutes ago, Charles Weishuhn said:

I tried opening it slowly. It came on no matter what. I thought the grill tank was like a 20 gallon

20 lbs. not gallons. Typically a 20 gallon tank doesn't have the safety valve thingy and they're about breast high. 

Frosty The Lucky.