I Forge Iron

Meat cleaver/knife

Johnnyreb338

Well vacation ended, back to work finishing this baby first. The steel is from a 60's era ford truck springs. A little file work on the spine with some coin mokume bolsters and a nice tapered spine in the handle. The pins are s/s with a nice mosaic tube. This was my first ever sheath, it's not perfect but I think it turned out pretty good considering it's our first attempt. My wife is a big into horse stuff and wants to learn the leather working side so it may work out to my advantage. Cut down on some external cost of having to 3rd party the leather.

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Good afternoon  c1 tool 

Yes the handle is awkward for actually chopping meat on a table. I drawer out a proper cleaver and the customer kept changing and making it smaller, then he said he wanted  a curved handle. So this was the end result. Other than that it's got great balance and feel. 

The handle is less of an issue than the recaso, and the decritive bit behind it. The decritive scroll will stop the blade from reaching the cutting board, and the recaso will do the same even if the scroll is ground off after a few sharplenings. Not utility features on a kitchen tool.

For kool looks, it's that 

You posted wile I was typing, lol. Good to see it wast your desighn flaw, lol

Very nice Johnny, I like the way the detail on the spine kind of matches the detail on the scales. Looks cool from above. 

Mokume is a nice touch, I didn't notice it at first until I read your description. 

Did you make the mokume and mosaic pin yourself?

Sheath is cool too, my other half is also thinking of become my leather crafter! Lol.

I'm on the verge of doing some small camping cleavers from a very large leaf spring. Thanks for sharing, this has pushed me a bit to go for it!

Cheers.