I Forge Iron

Snow416

Hi im new here and wanted to get some information like:

How would i go about learning after joining OABA.
Where can i learn, is it in the city of Toronto.
how do i even get started.
ive always wanted to learn to Blacksmith.. and id like to start as soon as possible.

Welcome aboard Snowy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

You're off to the right start joining a club, OABA is a good bunch of folks. I can't tell you where to look in your area but if you contact one of the OABA gang they'll put you in touch. 

Take a class if possible, you'll get lined out on what you need and where to get it. 

How do you get started?  You are now, SURPRISE! :o Be prepared though blacksmithing is a life long learning curve, we'll try to flatten it out a little for you but it never ends. I hope you like the learning curve. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Uh huh. first put your general location in your profile so folk know whether it's worth the time to invite you to a get together. Second you will NEVER have all the information, just stick your foot in and hold on. 

What do you need to know? You need something heavy and hard for an anvil. A HOT fire. A smooth faced hammer or two and something to cut stock with. That's IT PERIOD. Oh yeah, stock.

You can make the rest, we'll help. ;) 

Frosty The Lucky.

just stick your foot in and hold on. 

In the door, that is. Not the fire. :P

Read through the forum. There is so much information here on countless subjects. You'll learn a lot, including things you didn't know you needed to know. 

If you do not already have a forge, look up the JABOD here in the solid fuel section. Its a very simple and very effective design. 

A block of mild steel as an anvil, vise grips as tongs, a hacksaw, and a decently heavy hammer will give you the ability to do a lot of work. 

Enjoy the journey. 

Will, vice grips suck, Chanel locks work better. 

Welcome abourd Snow. I am working in the Mark III box of dirt forge now. 

Other forge ideas

The first up is the Mark I box of dirt. I acualy prefer the double action bed pump because it is quite and you don't need a valve to control the air for charcoal. 

Second is a very effecent charcoal design,  what is not shown is that 3-4" below the table top is the tuyere and a dug out fire bowl, probably a 4x8 trench. 

Last is a portable set up a member takes with him. Backpacking around Eastern Europe. He has a handcart for the anvil and tools. 

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG