I Forge Iron

Puukko images

OlvinJanoisin

Hi all!

Please attach here images of your Puukkos.

I start with my last weekend project, this shape and measures are quite common for everyday carry knifes.

puukko20170917.thumb.jpg.0ed5035e0a24995af513f2a47b547b1f.jpg

Handle is brass, reindeer antler, birch bark (+Beeswax), riveted from end.

I also made some ornament on spine and dipped the tip a bit (unusual for normal Puukko, the spine is normally straight)

Probably I'll put new image from other angle later. Also I put picture of sheath as soon I make one.

Well done kumppani! I like the combination of the handle materials a lot

The only critique I have is the file work on the blade spine, a bit to coarse and IMHO always making blades looking less serious....but that is a matter of taste, You like it so its fine.

The only Puukoos I have made I recently posted already...maybe makes not so much attractive sense to post them here again.

But one or two images more of Yours would really enrich the threat.

dont forget to show us the sheath when it is finished.

Cheers

Hi and thanks!

I made this for 13 yr. scout girl, so it's meant to be 'no so serious', tried to make this pretty ;)

Usually I like to leave some unfinished surface, so knife has really feeling that it's hand made and personal. (Earlier I grind and polished all sides and made the blade like manufactured on some factory, and every time I felt sad about loosing nice textures and the feeling of hand made, so I decided to leave something there)

Yes you get good grip from birch bark handle, its little soft and it feels nice and warm on hand like cork handles on some fishing rods, except its much more durable.

In image you can see the spine, on background is the hollow rough wooden inner cover for sheath (I don't know is there individual English word for it), It's for avoiding injuries if you fell bad with the knife dangling on your waist.

Sorry for bad image quality (taken on web cam) and late answer, I have been pretty busy lately. I'll post the sheath image as I get time to make on. And some other knifes.

2017-09-23-171341.jpg

Mist päi sie tuut, ethä Karjalast? That's a wicked cool puukko, mate. I like the texturing on the back, haven't seen that very often. 

I'll see if I can find my very WIP vuolupuukko(carving knife) somewhere. Just remembered I took a puukko making course some years ago... IIRC I finished the blade part, but the handle is still missing. Why, oh why did I have to get sick on the last part of the course...

Arvooppa :) and thanks.

Here is one which I made on some course years ago ... not very happy about sheath ornamentation.. this is what you get when you work during hangover... ;)

Handle is riveted from top end, metal parts are nickel silver and the rest is birch bark, etching on blade. Also sheath metal parts are nickel silver.

puukko.jpg

I made also little bit smaller version for even smaller hands (for her's little sister so she wont start to cry ;)) Handle length is only 3 1/4".

For this I tested almost boiling candle wax (I think it is stearin), where i dipped the handle and kept couple of minutes ->After polish resulting bumpy surface on bark (which was little surprise) ... feels really nice on hand + gives really good grip. Materials and type are same as in puukko above.

314.thumb.jpg.58e19e967c83744d37cbeca7e07cd97c.jpg 

On 10/16/2017 at 8:18 AM, metalmangeler said:

I guess you are covering the wooden sheath with leather to make your completed sheath.

Wooden part covers the blade and at handle part there is only leather. The wooden part is for safety + gives some posture for sheath.

Please attach pictures of yours when you make one!

Here is small and slender fishing puukko. Handle wood part is black alder. Had trouble on handle due way too small piece of reindeer antler...

b.jpg

a.jpg

c.jpg