I Forge Iron

Setting Up Gas Forge, Ventilation Considerations?

Iowajones

First time posting though been looking at the forums for a little while. I appreciate the know-how and sharing of information on this site.

I am a retired foundry metallurgist living near Boone Iowa.  Just getting started in forging as a hobby, taken a couple of courses in beginning blacksmithing and been slowly acquiring some equipment.  My interest is in ornamental type work and whatever may come up that interests me.  Turning attention now to a forge and requesting some advice.

I would prefer coal as it is what I’ve used in class, like the control and even like the smell (being an old iron foundryman); and I have a readily available source of Pocahontas bituminous close by.  But, I’m thinking coal is not a good choice for an attached garage.  Therefore considering gas and would appreciate any comments about ventilation considerations for a propane two burner forge for my situation.

I have two attached garages; one in front of the house and one to the side in an 'L’ configuration. The front one is where the garage entry to the house is so the entrance to the living area is around the corner from where the forge will be located. Both garages are about 25' wide  x 36' deep with 13' high ceilings. There is an open indoor passageway between the garages of about 6’ wide by 8’ tall.  So there is about a 5 foot header separating the two garages hopefully blocking some combustion gases migrating from one garage to the other.  Each has a Garage door 18' wide by 11' tall.  I have two man doors and one 4' x 5' window in the side garage where the forge will be. Both garages are insulated, well sealed from air infiltration and drywalled. The side garage was prepped for a propane heater so has a propane line already run from an exterior 1000 gallon tank. There is also a 4” vent pipe installed through the roof for a future heater install. Please comment on any special ventilation requirements I should consider.

Thanks

Dave

Welcome aboard Dave, glad to have you. There are two major concerns with any kind of forge in an attached garage. Fire is first of course but the other is CO. Carbon Monoxide is insidious stuff, it gets everywhere and exposure is cumulative. A gas forge in an attached garage really needs strong exhaust to prevent CO from migrating into the living quarters. A positive pressure system in the house would be a sweet addition. 

Even with the overhead door open CO is still being produced prolifically and it gets everywhere. 

I think something like a close hood to an exhaust fan would be reasonably safe getting it all out. CO monitors of course!

I like both coal and propane, each has it's up and down sides, if you have room for both, why not. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, Thanks for your comments. I will look into adding some sort of hood with powered exhaust.  Since already have vent pipe through the roof hopefully it won't be too bad to rig up.

I'll be researching the forums and explore building my own gas forge.  A commercial one is a possibility but it may be interesting to try put one together myself and save a few dollars.

I haven't given up completely on coal in addition to gas.  But it will have to be on a moveable cart I can wheel out the garage back door.  I did pick up a Champion 400 this week that cleaned up pretty good and turns smoothly.  It is lacking the mounting bracket that clamps onto the blower, tripod mounting block and legs but still is a start down that path.

Thanks Again

Dave

CO poisoning is nothing to fool with. I would never run a propane forge in an attached garage without CO monitors all through the house (read every room). If at all possible have your forge on wheels and move it outside when forging.

Our forges are in an unattached garage with a well ventilated shop attached to it. The coal forge is inside the shop with a good hood and chimney through the roof. We still roll the propane forge outside the door when it's running.

Welcome aboard.

I would recomend building your own.  Not only does it save some money but you get the satisfaction of using something you made.  The forge body itself is pretty simple and all the supplies you need (except the shell) can be purchased from wayne coe for a good price.  The burner is a bit more fidgety.  Frosty has very clear instructions posted in his pinned tburner section and is a huge help in getting these built.