I Forge Iron

Tongs

nthe10ring

New to forging and just finished building my gas forge and have everything but tongs, been gettin by with some old vice grips and such but want to order some in the next couple of days. These will be for knife work only, just wondering what you would suggest as the most versatile to start with. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

Knife work? like holding 2" tall billets to forgweld into pattern welded steel or knifework like holding 1/4" stock, or a set to hold 5/8 coil spring stock; or what?

My most heavily used pair is a snubnosed set used to hold 1/4" thick stock as most my tangs are made 1/4" thick before the blade gets roughed out. The pair I use was originally sold to farriers, but are not the round bitted ones with the hole in the center. I get a lot out of the ones that will hold coil springs too as that is a common material I start folks off on.

So tell us what you will be doing and we can narrow things down; if you make your knives from flat stock ones designed to hold round won't do you much good.

For general guildlines get them as small and as springy in the reins as you can---they are all dead weight when you are forging and it's nice when starting out to be able to use rein clips. Note if you are using a gasser, (details!) you will probably want them a tad longer than if you are using them for a solid fuel forge to avoid the dragon's breath.

New to forgeing means that anything you forge will help in whatever you want to do next. With that in mind the best thing I believe you can do is make your own tongs..That sounds harder than it really is..go into the bp file and look up the quickie tongs by Whitesmith. If you get a chunk of material long enough you can forge these tongs while holding the stock by had...dip the hand end in a bucket of water if it gets warm.YOu can shape the jaws into any style you wish and as you progress in forgeing you can use these tongs to hold stock to make tongs as described in other bps. Knife work is not impossible for a beginner but if you gain a bit of handeye coordination and learn how and where metal moves between the anvil and a hammer while hot it will get you where you want to go a lot faster. Check into the opening page are marked getting started for hints. Enjoy

I want to be able to use flat and round stock, billet weld up for damascus is beyond my skill set at this time. I had thought to get a duckbill v bit and a wolfjaw from toms to handle flat and round. I know can never have too many kinds but starting to learn what I really need at this point .

Jerry