I Forge Iron

Bushcraft knife.

MastaStan

Hi all, just a quick couple of pics of my latest bushcraft knife.

Heat treated O1 steel with Jatoba handle scales. Blade is 5mm thick, just over 4 inches long. Overall length is 9 inches. Has a nice weight and quality feel to it.

The photos don't really do justice on the wood. It has lovely chatoyance and when you look at it from different angles it has a 3D effect like a hologram.

Thanks for taking a look.

IMG_20170814_093953_237.JPG

IMG_20170813_161835.jpg

Nice work, Stan. Looks functional and practical. 

I know you didn't ask for critique, but the placement of the center pin really sticks out to me. 

Other than that, it looks well made. Love the handle choice, never heard of Jatoba before, but it's certainly an attractive wood. 

4 hours ago, Will W. said:

Nice work, Stan. Looks functional and practical. 

I know you didn't ask for critique, but the placement of the center pin really sticks out to me. 

Other than that, it looks well made. Love the handle choice, never heard of Jatoba before, but it's certainly an attractive wood. 

Thank you Will, as usual a great comment from you! :D

As Thomas has correctly surmised, the end pin should have been a lanyard hole. (Didnt have hollow brass rod at the time) Maybe it won't look odd on the next one, I think this is going to be my standard bushcraft design now.

I've taken advice about the front of the handle being too wide and improved accordingly.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

The center pin makes me think that the end of the tang pin was originally planned as a lanyard hole and got pinned as an after thought.

You got me! ;)

You could always make brass tubing, if you have none. I've done it myself, before I located a source if it. Cut your pins to the proper length, measure and find exact center, and drill a hole down through. The ID of the tubing will determine the thickness of the walls, obviously. 

Like Glenn says, if you never build a box, you never have to think outside of it!

26 minutes ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

Looking forward to the next one. I'll bet it will a 10 times better with the pins sorted out. Design wise I think it looks great.

Thank you Dylan!:D

23 minutes ago, Will W. said:

You could always make brass tubing, if you have none. I've done it myself, before I located a source if it. Cut your pins to the proper length, measure and find exact center, and drill a hole down through. The ID of the tubing will determine the thickness of the walls, obviously. 

Like Glenn says, if you never build a box, you never have to think outside of it!

Thanks for the tip Will, I'll definitely use it at some point.

Also I forgot to say, I never dislike critique.... Especially when it is so nicely put!

Cheers.