I Forge Iron

First project!!

This is my first item I've pounded out of hot steel, and with the smithy(which is FAR from completion)/"forge" that made it. I was gonna wait until I had my junk coal forge put together, but I just couldn't wait. It started started as an S hook but then I realized that I really needed a turnscrew to go with my PA longrifle, so this became my testpiece.... enough jawwin

Mark

5630.attach

5631.attach

5632.attach

5633.attach

Good for you Mark.

Too many people spend way too much time trying to get all the "right" stuff to try something new. Next thing they know they have a large collection of tools they don't know how to use and never actually try what they wanted to in the first place.

So, here's to you for just going at it. Huzzah!

The pics are too small to get a good look but from what I can see it looks to be a fairly good job.

Frosty

i started with just a lead meting torch and some old rail track, its great to see what you can make with veary little. great start
one little tip if your using a little torch to heat up some steel to hammer on try just stacking up some old fire bricks or any kinda of high temp material in a little shell around your steel, it will make a huge difference in how fast you can bring the steel to a red heat
be safe and have fun

Thanks Frosty,
Its a little rough, but it turns the screw that hold the lock on my rifle so Im happy as a clam about the function. I learned a few things about the order of work(e.g. make the handle/decorative curl from one end, then cut to length, the shape the blade) but then I guess thats part of the learning curve.

Mark

Ml,
Thanks, I started with the lil pencil tip, but then after what seemed like forever trying to get a good heat I switched to the "weedburner" torch which brought the 3/16 rod to temp in about 30-45 seconds, but it was kinda tricky coordinating holding the stock, the torch, heating, finding somewhere safe to set down the torch with out losing my heat, etc. So I have an old 20#lp tank that i may poke a hole in and make a forge like you suggested till I can get the coal smoker together, that goofy smithing bug bit me hard, so I cant wait for the next project.

Mark

Bravo. I did similar with O/A torch to heat and "whatever" to pound on. You know to be careful about "poking a hole" in that LP tank? I was surprised one time to find a tank I thought was empty, not to be. If fact, I was the one that emptied it. Opened it up and left it over night. I was moving and didn't want any accidents with shipping. Was I surprised when we went to fill it on the other end. I opened it up and what do you know more gas came out. Not sure what to recommend. Watch yourself!

Thanks Phil,
Im terrified of blowin my self up or catchin my self on fire as I had a good friend do both choppin an old fueloil tank with a K-12 saw so I take lotsa extra precautions to keep the same situation happenin to me. See propane is roughly twice as heavy as air, so when the pressure in the tank drops to or below atmospheric (14.7) the tank still contains the full volume at 1 ata plus whatever the valve setup keeps back, to remedy this remove the valve and invert the tank voila all the propane can escsape, although, be very careful as to not release a toxic gas(esp cfc, hfc refridgerants) to the atmosphere, etc, etc. Finally before any cutting or drilling on a tank, after all product is removed, PURGE THE TANK, I use water or inert gas(nitrogen) as even with all valving open/removed some things just dont want to come out. Sorry for blabbin on and on, i didnt want to talk down to anyone but its important stuff

Another point about cutting tanks, Don't use an Oxy/fuel torch as they a have a tendency to accumulate unburned fuel inside the tank while cutting; the resulting explosion can wake up folks for several miles. There are ways of doing it safely but I don't feel qualified to explain it to some one else. I purge mine with C02 and fill with water and then use a plasma cutter (no Fuel just spark and air) The 4 1/2 inch grinder works well too.

Well, I dont know if I should keep posting these but Im just so dang excited! I tried a little bit of a curl on this one to dress it up a bit, and I also cut out the fire pot for my forge, I decided to use an old gas water heater I had laying around and a trip to the scrap yard I found a pallet of 32" pieces of angle iron for the legs and expanded mesh fer the grate 35 cents a pound at 29 # worked out to 10.50. A trip to the block yard got me 15 fire bricks for 25 $$ and finally I found an old hairdryer at goodwill for a dollar so for $36.00, and a trip through my personal junk pile, i got all the makins for my coal forge! YIPPY! I hope to have it all assembled by next week, but I'll be at the day job for the next 4 days, yuck.
Thanks for everything
Mark

5636.attach

5637.attach

5638.attach

What i did to purge the tank is i went to my local hardware store (coincidentally i work there so it's a bit cheap and i get a lot of tool accumulation) and i bought a handheld, battery powered explosive gas detector. then i went and unscrewed the purge valve and turned the tank upside down overnight. Then i went and clamped the valve in a vice and spun the tank to get the valve off. Then i flled the thing with water and left it overnight. Then i took the gas detector and checked if it read the all clear in the tank. It did so i went at it with an angle grinder.