I Forge Iron

touchmark register

ausfire

I have searched unsuccessfully for any reference to a register of touchmarks.

I think it would be a good idea to have a listing of all the touchmarks used by the smiths on this site. It's interesting to see the variety of designs and I believe a permanent record should be kept.

Perhaps I am missing something and it has already been done. If not, I'm willing to start the listing with mine.

• 2 months later...

The old silversmiths’ hallmark registries and the like were organized by the government of various countries, centralized, and — critically — mandatory. Unless we are all going to go to the trouble and expense of listing these with our respective countries’ trademark registries, I honestly don’t know how useful this would be.

This is a NICE idea but who is going to be doing the work for this idea, registering them,  keeping track of them, answering questions, enforcing the rules if they are enforceable without some governmental   agency (what country)  making the rules.?  Then the $$$ funding is coming from where, who is the bookkeeper?  and ending back at the enforceable question again. 

Certainly not fair to load this onto IFI folks. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, notownkid said:

This is a NICE idea but who is going to be doing the work for this idea, registering them,  keeping track of them, answering questions, enforcing the rules if they are enforceable without some governmental   agency (what country)  making the rules.?  Then the $$$ funding is coming from where, who is the bookkeeper?  and ending back at the enforceable question again. 

Certainly not fair to load this onto IFI folks. 

Whoa! Nothing as formal as that. We have threads here - Show us your bottle openers; Show us your letter knives; Show us this and that.  Just show us your touchmark will do. Might be useful for others to take ideas from  ... and just interesting to see the various styles. 

On 11/10/2017 at 2:39 AM, ausfire said:

Whoa! Nothing as formal as that. We have threads here - Show us your bottle openers; Show us your letter knives; Show us this and that.  Just show us your touchmark will do. Might be useful for others to take ideas from  ... and just interesting to see the various styles. 

That's what I meant I didn't mean do anything truly legal lol,