Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pancho07

Etching makers mark

4 posts in this topic

As some have seen I've been making buckles and dressing up yeti type cups and I have been struggling with how to put a makers mark on them. The buckles can be stamped but the tumblers are alittle more difficult. My first idea had been to cut a tag of copper stamp on my company and the date but was told that that looked terrible so I've been trying to think of a better way. As I was pulling wire on a new fence just now I got to thinking about acid etching and wondered if anyone knew of a relatively inexpensive way to etch the bottoms of these. According to the place I get them they are 18/10 stainless. 

As always thanks in advance, pancho

Ferric Chloride, there are a number of easily found and used resists mentioned in knifemaking forums.

Thanks thomas, my googlefu is not strong so I never can find what I want or give up before I get down to the right post. I just don't know much about the chemical/alchemical properties of stainless other than there are a bunch of them. I'll give that a shot

Also, do a web search for "electrolytic etching" or "salt water etching", which you can do with a battery charger, a stencil (commercially made or cut from a piece of tape), salt water, and a Q-tip.