I Forge Iron

Dead PW anvil

16 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

how deep is the crack?

you cannot just weld the surface or it will break up, you need to weld the entire area of the crack and then maybe re heat treat the anvil.

this is a major task.

post some pix and details about the anvil

I've welded a good bit of cast iron and cast steel so I'm fairly familiar with the process (not good by any means) It's the high carbon top to the cast that has me scratching Head. I was thinking 309L might do it with about a 300-400 deg f preheat and then a slow cool which is similar to what I do with cast, but not sure what it'll do to the hardface. I'll post some pics this evening. 

OK if the face has completely delaminated then the fix is to remove it and either do a complete weld side to side usually by offsetting the face with a piece of sq stock in the middle and welding it up from both sides.  Or by building up the body with correct rod to create a new face.

As the body of a Peter Wright is NOT CAST ANYTHING but rather real wrought iron I do not understand your last comment.   The Face plate may be cast steel and either a monolithic piece or several pieces forge welded side to side down the length of the face depending on age.

Any experience welding real wrought iron?

the body of the anvil is not cast it is WI, how much experience of welding that do you have?

first test the surface with a small hammer and mark the entire area that sounds hollow with chalk, next post a picture of that.

the problem is a failed forge weld and it might be over a large area

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Got a lot of friends, coal, and a high pressure & high volume water supply?  You could try to weld it back the old fashioned way---forge welding and then re heat treating.

That might actually be fun, but I'm not sure my friends like me that much. Lol

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

OK if the face has completely delaminated then the fix is to remove it and either do a complete weld side to side usually by offsetting the face with a piece of sq stock in the middle and welding it up from both sides.  Or by building up the body with correct rod to create a new face.

As the body of a Peter Wright is NOT CAST ANYTHING but rather real wrought iron I do not understand your last comment.   The Face plate may be cast steel and either a monolithic piece or several pieces forge welded side to side down the length of the face depending on age

Any experience welding real wrought iron?

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's how deep it goes under the face we are interested in. A quarter inch---V it out and weld it up!  3" and it's time to decide if you want to repair or just replace the anvil

Understood. What filler should be used if it's weldable?

6 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

so it does not go across the width of the anvil at all?

Not that I can see.

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

as TP said if it is just 1/4" deep v it and weld, if it is 3" it is a different problem.

if you want to fix it the way it was made you need people there who are experienced at forge welding because I presume you are not

Your presumption is correct. I am not. 

It has been a bit since I had this old anvil out from under the bench. After cleaning it up. The crack wasn't as long as I remembered. After checking the rebound again, it is only dead from the Hardie hole back. And more on the side with the crack than the other. I do see another line near the midpoint of the body but I suspect that may be where the hard face is forged to the body (I included a pic)...I can use it as is, I would just hate to let the crack contiue to grow if I can stop it  IMG_0530.thumb.JPG.aff6e24ff0bbd9163a3c2e5a55f36ba9.JPGIMG_0530.thumb.JPG.aff6e24ff0bbd9163a3c2e5a55f36ba9.JPGIMG_0530.thumb.JPG.aff6e24ff0bbd9163a3c2e5a55f36ba9.JPGIMG_0537.thumb.JPG.d8422012cf453b5bfc8bded49c32c682.JPGIMG_0535.thumb.JPG.32aeea02b711d460c1814dce85ea5a3d.JPGIMG_0531.thumb.JPG.39a19443b5d1ae4ee6af811b521a9256.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

have seen video on here of a team welding a face on an anvil, Thomas will probably know it, if it can be found it may help you see the mammoth task you have if it is a major repair

yes it will be fun but it will take a lot of organization and preparation and will be a lot of hard work for a large team of people, it may nor work well or at all

They welded on a face in the traditional manner as the Friday Night Demo at Quad-State one year---took them 4 tries as I remember before they got it to stick. I missed that Q-S which was a shame as I had suggested that as a demo...

Another group  tried it quite some time ago and If you can dig out pictures of the "Cajun Blackened Anvil" you can see what an epic fail trying to forge weld a face on an anvil can look like---those folks burnt up a lot of their anvil trying to heat it to welding temp.

Face delamination on the heel is a non issue as far as my work goes,

Thanks guys. I think I'm gathering from you guys that it may take a long time for the rest of that side to let go and I'm not going to hurt it any worse by continuing to use it without any repairs. Is that correct?

I'm getting close to retirement (2nd one) and when life slows down I'd like to learn more about blacksmithing. I've been working with steel and aluminum for years as a hobby but blacksmithing has always interested me.