I Forge Iron

What Type of Press is this?

Ross Moffett

Mohrbach makes a lot of thermoforming presses---for things like shoe soles.  There is a youtube video of at least one style and you can take a look to see if it matches.  IIRC, they also make pad printing presses (for putting logos on items) and similar "production" presses.  

There was one offered locally for dirt cheap pricing and I was pondering whether there was enough structure and pressure to be useful for forging but I never got that far..."snoozed and loozed".

12 hours ago, Kozzy said:

Mohrbach makes a lot of thermoforming presses---for things like shoe soles.  There is a youtube video of at least one style and you can take a look to see if it matches.  IIRC, they also make pad printing presses (for putting logos on items) and similar "production" presses.  

There was one offered locally for dirt cheap pricing and I was pondering whether there was enough structure and pressure to be useful for forging but I never got that far..."snoozed and loozed".

I'm thinking the same thing, wondering if a can convert it or use it for forging.

This one is also dirt cheap (3000 Rand about 231 dollars) if it works it might be worth it if I can convert it or not.

I only managed to find a video showing a Mohrbach typ41 press, it was doing shoe sole forming.

Maybe I'll get it, you never know it might come in handy some day.

Regards,

Ross.

Worst case scenario, you can pretty much be sure that it'd have enough power to press thin sheet metal.  You could set up some dies to help make acanthus leaves, rosettes and such things.  It's not much, but it might be a whole lot better than trying to do them all by hand.