I Forge Iron

I don't know; how good a pattern welder are you?   I know a lot of folks who could; but that would not be the easiest of starting projects for a beginner.  You might grind a clean spot on them and see how they etch to see if they would have good differentiation in the billet.

Also what are the various sizes and what is the carbon content of the vanadium steel?   (will the mix have an appropriate carbon content for what you are making which you haven't said---patternwelding is NOT just for blades you know!)

The vanadium piece I have was roller in a bearing and the spring steel was a off a heavy duty suspension for an air bag system. I am still new to blacksmithing  and it may be a later project. I just wasnt sure if I could make damascus with these two metals.As far as what I want to make I'm not sure yet. Also not sure on the carbon content I'd have to do a spark test.

Here are the two pieces

1499965945298713304509.jpg

1499965973637-885652046.jpg

Also I mostly self taught and I'm still working on getting an anvil or something similar like a piece of rail road track

That looks like a MAJOR project Whoosh. Imagine heating and hammering each of those pieces into something roughly 1"-2" wide by 1/8" or so thick, and however long it ends up. Then grinding it flat, cleaning it up, cutting it into 4" to 6" lengths. Wiring or MIG welding it together. And then heat it to forge welding temps to stick it all together.

Personally, I'd rather buy it in the 1/8" by 1" sticks to begin with, but more power to ya! I'm sure it could be done.

If you're going to be making billets and folding or cutting and stacking you will be doing a lot of drawing out. Drawing those pieces out to 1/4" thick or so to start will be a small part of the work. I would be sure that I was proficient at welding chromium alloy steel before attempting A billet with those pieces. I have no idea how those pieces will work for damascus, but my gut feeling is that there might not be strong contrast.