I Forge Iron

CNC anvil

Interesting link Lou and a reasonably useful tool but typical of someone with a CNC machine shop. I haven't emailed DF yet but the only real criticism I have is the anvil and swages aren't well coupled to the base plate. The shanks need to penetrate the base plate far enough to insert a wedge and it'd much more effective.

It's an excellent example of a well thought out cut pattern, it's an art in itself.

Thanks for the link.

Frosty The Lucky.

You should send along your ideas before he finishes the attachment of the parts.  He said that he had them cut the same dimensions knowing he would have to file it to fit.  He may be able to incorporate your ideas.  I would love to find out how much it cost him in total after steel and cutting.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I haven't emailed DF yet but the only real criticism I have is the anvil and swages aren't well coupled to the base plate. The shanks need to penetrate the base plate far enough to insert a wedge and it'd much more effective.

Frosty The Lucky.

My take is that extending the posts to allow for a wedge would be better to do as a build-up rather than as part of the primary.  You could easily cut the extensions as a separate bar with slot to weld on the stub which exists on the swages. Far better material usage at the cost of an easy weld.  It also allows the wedge to be set to enter at a right angle to the swage if that's the way you want it to sit when tightened (at least gives you that option).

If you don't want to "roll your own", extremely good wedges can be found using "drill drifts".  They are normally used to pop out morse taper drill bits but are cheap and already exist so might save reinventing the wheel.  Just file the bottom of the slot to match the angle of the drift.  Yes, they are easy to make too but 6 bucks for a repeatable standard might be worth it--or at least make your own to match the industry standard.

For people contracting CNC cutting, either plasma or water jet, be sure and let the cutter know your edge expectations.  They can usually tweak for a better edge at a slightly higher cost but may not if you don't let them know what you want--they often get cost pressures from customers so sometimes lean toward the lesser finishes to speed cutting times.

Example of drill drift wedges

0022917-23.jpg