I Forge Iron

Hand-forged vs Drop forged

Thank you Scrambler82 and Marc1 !! Scrambler that was very informative and explained a lot of what I was looking for.!! and Marc I had began to read that once before but didn't finish as it seemed to be turning more about the term "fake" more then anything.. so I had quit reading it.. but this time I got past that and read the entire posts and it ended up being more informative then I thought is was going to be.. thanks again JT

I think the difference is that the drop forged anvils are done with closed dies and so are all the same.

The "hand forged" ones were actually forged under open die steam hammers and not with hand hammers; but they were controlled by hand.  Postman's book has a picture of an anvil being forged using an open die steam hammer.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

I think the difference is that the drop forged anvils are done with closed dies and so are all the same.

The "hand forged" ones were actually forged under open die steam hammers and not with hand hammers; but they were controlled by hand.  Postman's book has a picture of an anvil being forged using an open die steam hammer.

Hello Thomas ! that makes sense to what I was thinking.. I was looking at what was described as a early hand forged PHP Penninghaus anvil that was said that only the earliest PHP's were hand forged ( this one you can see the hammer marks on ) and then the rest were drop forged.. I thought that's what they were talking about but really wasn't sure what the drop forged was.. Thanks, JT