I Forge Iron

scrap bandsaw blade problem

evfreek

I agree with Mr Richards that a propane forge is much more simple to forge in. I normally throw a billet together, toss it in the forge, bring it up to heat, flux it with straight anhydrous borax, reheat it to welding temp, hold it at temp for a little while to allow the core to catch up with the outside, pull it through the power hammer once gently on each side, wire brush, re-flux, re-heat to welding temp, then back to the power hammer. I always work the billet at welding heat and try to minimize the amount of thermal cycles that I put it through. Scrap materials work well, but I have also grown accustom to using 15-n20, 1084/1095, 5160, and a wide array of metal powders. The one thing that I have learned about making Damascus is clean, clean, and then clean again, spend the extra time in the beginning to grind off any sign of grime, or you will be crying about it when you find the shuts during your final grind. We have all been there. Don

5634.attach

5635.attach

Hi fellas. Thanks for the comments. I have a propane forge too, and have a thermocouple with a sheath. This is mainly used for heat treating, although it can get up to welding temperatures. It works for welding mild steel. Haven't installed it at the farm, but we may be putting another one in as the fire season approaches to avoid the flea problem. With propane, it does seem to be easier to maintain uniformity. I will have to give this a try for the billets.

Jose, I used to live in Las Cruces as a little boy. On Solano, which I hear is a pretty big street now. We have fond memories of La Posta and the Piggly Wiggly and the University. In California, we also don't have those excellent green chiles.

For great chiles you need to come up to Socorro; better than Hatch according to a lot of folks!

Pep has a great shop in Las Cruces and he's at last getting the triphammered up look what with the Big Blu, 25#LG and the KA. Now if he'd just get rid of all those welders getting in the way, I'd haul them off for him...

My parents retired to LC about 15 years ago but now are talking about moving away it's become so large and the traffic so bad.