I Forge Iron

Need help aging a 166 lb hay budden

I have an hay budden that has been in my wife's family for 4 generations and would like to try and get an age on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Im fairly certain the serial numbers read 8410, but it's hard to tell as it's pretty well used.

1 hour ago, Masters said:

I have an hay budden that has been in my wife's family for 4 generations and would like to try and get an age on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Im fairly certain the serial numbers read 8410, but it's hard to tell as it's pretty well used.

According to Anvils In America, it could be either 1893 or 1918.  For it to be 1918 there would need to be an "A" before the numbers.  H-B made anvils from 1892 to 1925, so if you're right, yours could be a second year production...pretty cool!

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

The key to aging an anvil is proper temperature and humidity.

Oh, no; wait. That's beef. Never mind.

Ha ha, was thinking the same ... I would dunk it in the sea for a couple of month ... that will age it allright :)

9 hours ago, G-ManBart said:

According to Anvils In America, it could be either 1893 or 1918.  For it to be 1918 there would need to be an "A" before the numbers.  H-B made anvils from 1892 to 1925, so if you're right, yours could be a second year production...pretty cool!

I tried uploading pics last night but they failed to load mid stride. Here are the pics like I said it's pretty hard to read the serial number 

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6381.JPG

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

The key to aging an anvil is proper temperature and humidity.

Oh, no; wait. That's beef. Never mind.

I guess I should have said date it in hind sight thanks for the suggestion if I decide to age it though

1 hour ago, njanvilman said:

If is is 8110, it is 1893.  If there was a number after the 8110_, it would be 1902.  It is hard to tell if a digit was obliterated leaving only a corner of it, or not.

I think it reads 8410, would that still make it be an 1893?