I Forge Iron

My setup thus far

Hello, smiths. 

Brand new to forging and just wanted to show off my simple setup. 

I made a brake rotor forge last week and am having a blast so far using it. (Behind it is an old 1880's Buffalo forge I plan on restoring. Has the ratchet handle with a flywheel and belt that connects to the blower.) My forge just used a hair dryer as the blower for now. Plan on building a double lung bellows later on. 

My anvils are two pieces of railroad material that a blacksmith that works at the company I work for gave me. 

And on my bench I have various tools. A punch and drift set that my lovely wife got me as an early father's day gift. Some borax for welding. Linseed oil for traditional finish work. Hammers, wire brushes, etc, etc.

The pallets will become charcoal. So yeah, simple setup but it works for right now. 

20170607_232056.jpg

20170607_232046.jpg

20170607_232026.jpg

Nice job on the forge it looks very usable. A pass through in the screen will let you heat in the center of long stock, say a shepard's hook plant hanger. You have an excellent start, what have you made so far?

Frosty The Lucky.