I Forge Iron

rusty look

With a friend we want to make a rusty bike frame, we want a rusty looking but we want stop the corrosion of the frame, to preserve the strenght, after we think to give it a trasparent finish. 

The photo is about my old motorcycle fork, isn't the project, but you can have an idea of what we mean.

IMG-20170518-WA0000.jpeg

Rust is oxidation of metal. To stop it you put a barrier between the metal and the oxygen.

You can paint it rust colored, or let it actually rust and then use a clear coat paint. I am sure there are other options out there.

The nice thing about getting something to surface rust is that if you don't get the desired look you can sand it down and try something else. If I have the idea right, I would uniformly sand the whole frame down probably to a 320 grit or close. Then degrease it. Then I would first try saturating a clean lint free cloth with hydrogen peroxide and coat the frame evenly but not runny. Then keep the frame somewhere out of the rain but still humid enough to rust. Then wait. 

If that didn't achieve the desired look then there are other things you could try. Just sand off what's there and try something else or add to what is already there. 

Once you do get the desired look then a good automotive clearcoat should seal it in. Personally I would use a flattening agent in the clearcoat so it isn't shiny. 

For something like a bike frame you will want an automotive or industrial equipment clearcoat. I would personally use epoxy. Yes as Tommy mentioned a matt finish. I used the term flat as I commonly use the term but perhapse the proper term might be a matt finish. As in Not shiny or glossy.  That way it almost does not look clear coated. But it is to protect the look.