I Forge Iron

Help identifying

Matt.C

Hello there. I just started becoming interested in blacksmithing and was about to try my luck on making my own coal forge, but then I remembered this thing just sitting there.

As you can see the whole forge needs many hours of work, but I was thinking about starting with the blower.

The problem is I have no clue what brand it is or what's missing, so would really appreciate someone guiding me in the right direction.

Thanks!

20170525_172402.thumb.jpg.5732d6e725e2dbfb34bfe4b1d38850a1.jpg20170525_172411.thumb.jpg.e96fd336d438e0c621b562693e0d2eda.jpg20170525_172355.thumb.jpg.00ec7d6bc786f7ef81115e136981d910.jpg

That's a heck of a thing to have just sitting there.  Cool. 

The blower is probably marked on the side facing the wall. It looks like it's missing an electric motor and the belt that drives it. Be sure to evict any mice living it it. :) 

Flood the bearings with oil and start by turning it by hand.  When/if it starts turning smoothly put the motor on it and keep flooding the bearings with oil to flush out any rust or grit.  Rust actually is a lapping compound but you don't want it to keep working after you have it done enough!  

Watch the speed!  Blowers often had lower rpm motors than we commonly find today. If you can pull the pulley you might try a larger pulley on that and a much smaller pulley on a 1725 RPM motor.

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

That's a heck of a thing to have just sitting there.  Cool. 

The blower is probably marked on the side facing the wall. It looks like it's missing an electric motor and the belt that drives it. Be sure to evict any mice living it it. :) 

Haha, too bad the guy that rented this place before bricked off everything to prevent birds from crapping on his precious Camaro...I have some work to do. 

Thanks for the fast reply, on Monday I'll try to dig it up and post more pictures.

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Flood the bearings with oil and start by turning it by hand.  When/if it starts turning smoothly put the motor on it and keep flooding the bearings with oil to flush out any rust or grit.  Rust actually is a lapping compound but you don't want it to keep working after you have it done enough!  

Watch the speed!  Blowers often had lower rpm motors than we commonly find today. If you can pull the pulley you might try a larger pulley on that and a much smaller pulley on a 1725 RPM motor.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind ^_^

Hey again. Finally removed it. It looks nicer than I thought on the inside. But still can't find out what brand it is.

20170529_192502.thumb.jpg.80f8e75ca84674eac9e4697f859cdf02.jpg

This is how it looked on the other side, perhaps the makers name is on the missing piece? 

thumbnail_20170529_192300.thumb.jpg.f4f76a28a99c6a77093bfdc326363251.jpg

Inside, It will need some love, but not too bad... atleast no mouse got evicted :D

thumbnail_20170529_194317.thumb.jpg.2c2fbe4aea63e73fccf2e95f7c2719a1.jpg

thumbnail_20170529_194329.thumb.jpg.1d2aab2bb14f31de4fe125cd8f44d77f.jpg

What kind of motor would you think should work with this blower?

Any suggestions or ideas is very much appreciated.

Could mention im from Sweden aswell, so English isn't my main language.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry can't help on the maker or make. Perhapse someone might recognize it. 

As far as a motor, since you are starting from scratch maybe search for a variable speed motor so you will be able to control the amount of air to the forge. Other then that, as Thomas had mentioned it will probably need a slower motor to run it and you could always use different sized belt pulleys or an air gate to control the amount of air to the forge. 

Glad you didn't have to pick out a mouse nest from it. And your English is fine.