I Forge Iron

Rough post vise, looks wrong.

RobS

So this vise is for sale near me and I'm going to check it out tomorrow.  It is missing the spring and mounting plate, but that should be easy enough to fix.  What worries me is the screw/handle setup.  It looks like someone replaced with a big bolt and homemade handle.  

It's not normal (is it?).  But it should still function for clamping, yes?  What do you think a fair offer would be $20, $50?  It's on ebay atm, but I doubt it will sell, so I was going to make a cash offer after it ends.

vise1.jpg

It looks to me like the screw and screwbox were "replaced". I would not drive 15 minutes to look it over and then only if it was going for less than US$20 to hold in hopes of finding replacements parts cheap later.  Doing a proper Screw/Screwbox replacement would cost more than buying a vise in better condition.

Yea--that's not a post vice, that's half a post vice and the missing half is some pretty important stuff.  As was said, I might grab it for $ 20 give or take at a garage sale but not as a usable vice. By the time you do what needs to be done to make it decent, you are likely up into the cost range of a complete working vice.

But...sometimes a project is nice to have around to monkey with on winter days.  

Alternatively...it's still probably better than no vice at all if you can get it cheap as dirt while you wait for better to show up.