I am just starting and am trying to find some simple ways to make
some tongs. I am sure that there are some in the blueprints, but
I cannot seem to figure out how to find a particular thing
in the blueprint section. Any guidance for the blue print section
would be appreciated. Also ideas on the tong would be also
appreciated.
Thanks
Ron

While you plan your first pair of tongs, you might benefit by having a pair of tongs to work with. Before I fabricated my first pair of tongs, I made a pair from an old rusty horse hoof trimming/pincher/nipper, or whatever farrier call the tool. I just threw it into the heat and fashioned it into a nice pair of flat tongs. I did the same for a quick pair of bolt tongs.

I've made three pairs from the old nippers over twenty years ago, yet I always have an eye open for another rusty/busted up pair that can be had for a dollar or three. The resulting tongs might be on the short side (14" to 16" or so) but they will serve you well until you make something better.

Just an idea.

While you plan your first pair of tongs, you might benefit by having a pair of tongs to work with. Before I fabricated my first pair of tongs, I made a pair from an old rusty horse hoof trimming/pincher/nipper, or whatever farrier call the tool. I just threw it into the heat and fashioned it into a nice pair of flat tongs. I did the same for a quick pair of bolt tongs.

I've made three pairs from the old nippers over twenty years ago, yet I always have an eye open for another rusty/busted up pair that can be had for a dollar or three. The resulting tongs might be on the short side (14" to 16" or so) but they will serve you well until you make something better.

Just an idea.

Careful with those nippers to make sure they are not cast before you decide to modify them, the last pair i had was fairly brittle. As for tongs, i started a pair of solid forged ones and they take forever!