I Forge Iron

Finished my anvil stand and mounting

Nice! I did something similar. I should go take a photo and post it. I have my anvil sitting right on the sand. It's easy to raise/lower the anvil by adding/removing sand. It also helps to dull the ring.

-m 

4 minutes ago, mutant said:

Nice! I did something similar. I should go take a photo and post it. I have my anvil sitting right on the sand. It's easy to raise/lower the anvil by adding/removing sand. It also helps to dull the ring.

-m 

I thought about doing the same, that's just a piece of 3/4 inch maple plywood that it's sitting on that sits directly on the sand, it's not anchored to anything but the anvil so ti's still pretty easy to move in and out, i can pick the whole top / anvil up out of there. I'm reasonably happy with it. I'm hoping to get some forge time in on it tonight.

1 hour ago, PVF Al said:

Brickman, Good job! Now you can go to work. Keep us updated on your progress.

Al

Was going to get some forge time on it last night but got food poisoning =/ that has delayed plans until today.. going to try and get the handles isolated and drawn out a bit on my drawing knife i'm making.. I'll post pics with what i get =]

On 4/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, Frosty said:

Was it still loud sitting on sand? A sand box is usually more than enough to take the painfully loud out of an anvil's ring.

Looking good.

Frosty The Lucky.

it still had a pretty good ring on hit that had a good bit of reverberation. the chain really knocked that down i'm going to stick a couple magnets on the bottom as well. and i might do a thin silicon pad underneath also... i live very close to my neighbors and we're currently on good terms and i'd like to stay that way :P.