I Forge Iron

Tomahawk

A few  pictures of my Tomahawk , I used Wrought Iron (wagon tire) for the "body" and 1075 for the bit . I folded and welded the Wrought Iron to refine the grain a couple of times . I got 8 of the Wrought Iron wagon tires at an auction last fall cheap , so good supply to making Hawks .The handle is Curly Maple.

P1040727.JPG

P1040723.JPG

P1040719.JPG

Very nice Bob.  Looks like you have the wrought stuff down pat.  Going to etch the next one?

Just had a failure trying to make an Austin style offset wrapped eye Viking axe out of wrought and 5160 over the weekend.  Went pretty well until I got ready to wrap the eye for welding.  My buddy, whose shop I was working in, had just walked away after asking if I wanted the torch setup to bend the ears in.  I got impatient waiting for him and started to bend them over the bick.  Let things get too cold and tapped one ear.  Wrought cracked on me right at the back of the eye...  May have made the cheeks too thin, but I think I'm just not that used to working with wrought.  Guess I might try welding it back together, but in that kind of high stress location I don't fancy my chances.

16 minutes ago, Latticino said:

Very nice Bob.  Looks like you have the wrought stuff down pat.  Going to etch the next one?

Just had a failure trying to make an Austin style offset wrapped eye Viking axe out of wrought and 5160 over the weekend.  Went pretty well until I got ready to wrap the eye for welding.  My buddy, whose shop I was working in, had just walked away after asking if I wanted the torch setup to bend the ears in.  I got impatient waiting for him and started to bend them over the bick.  Let things get too cold and tapped one ear.  Wrought cracked on me right at the back of the eye...  May have made the cheeks too thin, but I think I'm just not that used to working with wrought.  Guess I might try welding it back together, but in that kind of high stress location I don't fancy my chances.

Thanks on the comment , I really like doing making  the Tomahawks and have sold a few on Etsy. I been thinking about possible doing a small axe or hatchet before trying the Viking axe like we did in the class?? Yeah, WI doesn't like bends very well .

I have some 5160 I bought at Quad-State but haven't used it from the cutting edge/bits ..readied  were it can be a problem in forged welding ?? I know it doesn't like welding to it self