I Forge Iron

Lots of firsts

stoney4325

This started out as a birthday wish for my son 6 six ago when he was 10. He wanted to forge a knife from am old bolt he found. I let him and his buddy loose and he actually beat out something resembling a knife. We forgot about it until a few months ago when i found it and with his permission took it over. I wanted to do all the things i've read about on this site and others. So, the first for me are file work (really simple, next knife i'll go for the vines on the spine), hidden tang, elk antler handle, guard,butt cap and a peened end. I wanted to use a nut on the all tread on the end but couldn't find a copper nut so i just peened the all tread. i welded about 2 inches of all thread to the end.  the cool thing about this is that i only paid for the epoxy. all the other materials we found, i already had or were given to us(copper). I used the epoxy on the inside of the handle and the ends. after the quench and heat treat, i sharpened it up and cut thru a 3" juniper limb without any damage to the edge and it stayed somewhat sharp. i'm pretty happy with it and so is the boy. next up is the sheath, another first for me.

20170321_203026.jpg

20170325_184102.jpg

20170325_190623.jpg

I like the file work too. I'm going to have to try that on one soon. What are you planning to do for the sheath? I haven't made one out of leather yet either, but I've made a couple out of Kydex and they were super easy. Walter Sorrels has a youtube video of how to do it as do a few others.. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...