I Forge Iron

How to find a good scrap yard

I am new to black smithing and I am looking to get my stuff setup and some practice stock.  I keep hearing to go to the scrap yard and find a good chunk of steel to use for an anvil.    How do you find a good scrap yard?  the only scrap yards I can find while looking on google maps is auto salvage place near me.   Also what kind of pricing should I expect to pay for scrap steel.

Look for "metal recycling", "scrap metal" or anything similar in your yellow pages. Call any metal fab or welding shop.  Check with some auto repair shops and aftermarket lift shops.  Also, check with any blacksmithing group near you.  If you live in a large city, the scrap metal yards will seldom let you in for contractural and insurance liability issues.  Scrap yards out in the small rural towns are a better bet.  Prices vary, call them for info. 

Do not pay more than $.30 a lb unless you're getting an anvil. 

I would guess you still have a reasonable chance of finding some suitable scrap since you're near Detroit. Heavy is good

Find the nearest mom and pop fabrication shop to start your quest. Ask questions, go onto the next one until you 

find what you need. 

Also, there are 8 blacksmiths advertising in the YP for the Detroit area and there is a group (MABA) that might be able to help and

I STRONGLY suggest you join. 

A simple search pulled up a truck load more info for your area. 

Good Luck

The best way to get stock is go to the source, before it reaches the scrap yard.

Just some of the places are auto-truck repair shops for all kinds like axles, tie rods, sway bars, torsion rods, springs. Body shops for sheet metal and frame parts etc. most will save stuff and give it away. I made friends with the mechanics at our school bus garage and they saved me all the leaf springs they replaced for a lifetime supply.

Trying to find a good scrapyard near you on the internet is a pretty bad method.  Asking people who may deal with one is MUCH better.  For one thing many will not allow "strangers" in to  cruise the piles.  Having someone with picking privileges can open the door for you.  Don't underestimate the "bribe" power of a dozen doughnuts. Even if you can't get cruising privileges making friends with the staff who can drag stuff out for you or put stuff aside for you is very nice.

Cost depends.  My local scrapyard charges 20 cents a pound for scrap no matter what type; save for stainless and non-ferrous.  When I first started going there they wanted to charge me high prices for many items.  I'd smile say no thank you and cheerfully toss it back on the pile.  Now they are only charging me 20 cents a pound for everything, even things I'd pay more for---like a set of lovely old cast iron pots and skillets....(not used for casting lead---I checked)

salvalge yard? not an issue, fine a large truck axle and you will have a fine anvil mounted on end.

Littleblacksmith