I Forge Iron

Lining a forge

Ash1

Hi,

This is my first post so hello everyone.   I hope I'll be active on the forum trying to hoover up some knowledge!  

My basic question is; What should I line my forge with? 

I've built a basic forge out of a metal bucket fed air by a hair dryer,  up till now I've lined it with a cat litter/water mix but I'm finding this needs regular replacing and I'm really enjoying the forge so I want a more permanent solution.  

Unfortunately money is very tight at the moment so low cost is a priority. My choice seems to be plaster of paris +sand,  normal cement,  fire cement from a builders merchants or just normal clay?  Does anyone have advice on which way to go? I'm pretty confused.  Like I said affordable is important.  

Apologies if I'm asking the something you get all the time.  

Thanks for any advice, 

Ash

I personally use soil and then let the ash from the coal mix and it works pretty well and doesnt get any cheaper than digging it out of your garden. Builders sand can also be good it is what is used in side blast forges.

I would say don't use plaster of Paris or cement, I have seen a number of pieces of advice on here about pops in the platter or cement that can be very dangerous. Clay can be used the best example is the JABOD which is pinned in the solid fuel forge forum. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'd never considered soil, I'm not sure how well it would last though?  I'll have a look at the JABOD.  I'll also steer clear of plaster of Paris.  

Unfortunately I can't upload a picture at the moment but I'll do my best to describe the forge.  It's basically a thin metal bucket with a piece of scaffolding tube drilled through the side wall. Previously I'd been lining both the sides and the bottom of the bucket.  

20 minutes ago, turbo7 said:

Plaster of Paris will cost a fortune, dirt, any dirt, will do a good job, trick is to use a drum (55gal) instead of the bucket mate. 

OK thanks.  So just bit of dirt bit of water and your good to go? 

1 hour ago, Zeroclick said:

I just thought you say you are using a metal bucket for your forge, have you checked that it is not galvanised.

Yeah it is galvanised.  I thought that as it's not being melted and I'm using it outside this would be OK? 

From what I have read it is best to keep Galvanised metal away from any high temperatures.

They should only be used for quench tanks, to prevent Zinc Oxide and even if you are outside it only takes small trace amounts to cause some pretty serious damage.

If you use google with site:iforgeiron.com galvanised , you should get a lot of threads on the subject.

It would also be good if you put your general location in your profile, you might find you live near a member, also helps with advice.

59 minutes ago, Zeroclick said:

From what I have read it is best to keep Galvanised metal away from any high temperatures.

They should only be used for quench tanks, to prevent Zinc Oxide and even if you are outside it only takes small trace amounts to cause some pretty serious damage.

If you use google with site:iforgeiron.com galvanised , you should get a lot of threads on the subject.

It would also be good if you put your general location in your profile, you might find you live near a member, also helps with advice.

Thanks Zeroclick really good shout by the sound of it. 

I haven't noticed any symptoms so I guess I've got away with it but I'll get the wirebrush on it  just to be sure. 

Definitely,  I'll fill my profile out when I get a minute.