I Forge Iron

How to store your quench oil

JHCC

Hammer Guy,

Permit me to add a few tips into this thread, which should supplement your clever idea.

Vitamin E is an oil soluble vitamin. It will readily dissolve in the quenching oiI. It is a powerful anti-oxidant that will slow down the oxidation of the oil. (also called rancidity).

Note that water soluble vitamin C will not work here.

If the volume of that dead space is considerable we can raise the liquid to the top by placing marbles into the container. (or some other inert material).

There are also other containers that expand & contract that could be used. (but I suspect that that is over-kill

Topping up the dead space at the top of the bottle, with an essentially unreactive gas will drive the oxygen in the air at the top of bottle). Carbon dioxide is good, nitrogen gas is even better. Wood workers top up their bottles of coatings and solvents with such gases in order to preserve the liquids. Wine connoisseurs use it to prolong their vintages.

There is at least one product that is compounded especially for that purpose. It is called Bloxygen. I am sure there others. (but it may be too expensive us.)

Regards,

SLAG.

I use Goddard's Goop quench (candle wax and automatic transmission fluid). It is stable for decades, stores and transports easily as a solid, although it can liquefy in a hot car in the summer. I keep it in a dented SS steam table dish from a thrift store, small enough to toss in a drywall bucket if spillage is a possibility.