I Forge Iron

First blacksmithing class yesterday

I was finally able to attend a local class yesterday. As a total beginner who never hammered metal before , I'm glad I took this route. I'm sure I saved many hours of trying to learn on my own by trial and error. 

We started out with safety instructions, followed by how to build a proper fire. Next came hammering techniques, doing some tapers and making some curls. I even managed to do some forge welding (with some help). My first project was a coal rake. It wasn't pretty, but it was usable. My last project was a fireplace poker. It will never end up on display at a museum, but I learn a lot making it.

There were a great bunch of guys who were willing to help out. I'm definitely looking forward to going back again!

I attended a 3 day class last spring. it was about 8 hours each day. learned a lot of great stuff. certainly did not regret it. plus we got to keep everything we made.

tongs, coal rake, and a few punches. great time very tired and blistered hands by the end.