I Forge Iron

My new post vise

horse

I recently acquired a post vise. It appears to be in good condition. 75 dollars at auction. When closed the vise has about a gtr inch gap at bottom of the bite when closed at the top. Considering some grinding so it meets with a full bite any thoughts? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They were originally designed that way so that you would have parallel jaws when work of a certain size was held---the moving jaw moves on an arc after all.  If all your work will be done on stuff as thin as a piece of paper then go ahead and adjust the jaws to be parallel at closed.  Frankly I would not touch them!

I sort of assumed as much, but there are times I wish I had a stronger bite on thinner stock. Anyone seen this brand before?  The serrated teeth seem nearly untouched so assuming it had very light use before I bought it. Thanks Thomas, I certainly value your opinion. 

Nope didn't read it and if I had there seems to be little useful information regarding the vise. Will try to be more dutiful in the future in terms of checking threads before seeking further information.  

Nope didn't read it and if I had there seems to be little useful information regarding the vise. Will try to be more dutiful in the future in terms of checking threads before seeking further information.  Mostly saw some remarks regarding the Chicago fire