I Forge Iron

Blade is forged 5160 quenched in canola oil and tempered at 425f for two two hour cycles. Flat ground with a false edge running the full length of the spine. Oil finish. Handle is 3/4 hidden tang in black G10 with two ton epoxy and pinned with a 1/4" brass tube. Sheath is .090" black Kydex with 3/16" eyelets. I think the brass bolster is 3/16" thick. It was cut from an old door knocker plaque I picked up at a junk shop.

I would like to make a more traditional sheath. The leather work won't be an issue but I don't know where to begin on the fittings. I need a new hobby so I guess its time to start reading about tinsmith/silversmithing. I don't have any illusions about doing museum quality work but I would like to learn to make tip protectors from brass or copper.

IMG_20170303_191426.jpg

IMG_20170303_191141.jpg

IMG_20170303_191454.jpg

Not after the fifth Guinness but having grown up in the Deep South it does give me pause. My ancestry is Scottish and Welsh but I have never "embraced" it. I was half joking but the more I think of it now I'm beginning to think I would like to put the full kit together. I love the music, the dance and the history. I didn't know anything about the Sgain Dubh or its history until a week ago when I decided to make one. Tonight I've been shopping the web for some "bog oak" so I can make the next one with traditional materials!

Thanks Theo! My tablet is a big box store cheap-o with a camera as good as the old flip phones. I have an OK digital camera but this tablet doesn't even have an SD slot. I thought about emailing photos back to myself from a computer at the public library but I never think to take the camera to the shop.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Kilts are quite modern compared to real celtic clothing.  Much to many people's surprise!

I had a rain day today, (storm actually) and I did a bit of online reading about the development of the highland dress and kit. There is a tartan for each branch of my family but wow is that stuff expensive! At least the real woven wool is. The kilt alone is around $600.00 USD. Now I know why I see so many canvas kilts at Celt Fest!  To your point, it was surprising how much the current outfit and even the weapons "evolved" during the Victorian era. Even the humble sgian dubh of today doesn't much resemble the " black knife" of olde.

Last time I researched it even the great kilt dated only to the 16th century with the first good drawing of one in 1598 IIRC

I just go with a wool or linen tunic and a heavy wool brat in the winter---that I also use on the bed when it's cold out or we have guests.