I Forge Iron

Hi from Sydney, Australia

Rupes

Hi all. 

I've visited here plenty of times over the past few months when I started to take an interest in smelting and forging.

Great resource you all have here. Thanks to all who've contributed. Hopefully I can add something useful after the initial flurry of questions :)

I actually stumbled into this side of things. By that I meant smithing. I had originally been doing a lot of research into a furnace for melting aluminium for some projects I had in mind. I pretty much always have some project or another going on. I find it more fun in building equipment and learning the technical ins and outs (gas forge design for example) for a trade skill and becoming reasonable proficient at it then moving on to the next project. But I always keep the gear and end up coming back to it at some point. I had a really good read of the 7 page long gas forge thread. But I still have this idea :P

I picked up my first anvil last week. I needed a stand though and happened on a youtube vid in the side bar re quieting down an anvils ring by Paul Krzysz, who then linked to a thread here with a post by David Gaddis. Neighbors will appreciate it.  I made a slightly modified version but pretty close with a bolt down set up. 

20170301_174503.jpg

20170301_174756.jpg

• 2 months later...