I Forge Iron

2017 California Blacksmith Assoc. Spring Conference

Chinobi

Hey all!  Been fairly quiet lately but wanted to post a reminder for my California friends and neighbors that CBA Spring Conference is once again at hand, and will be in Vista (just north of San Diego) at the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum!  Check out the website for up to date details and registration infos.  Cheaper registration cutoff is presently April 10th, so strike while the iron is hot! (Shameless, I'm sorry >.>)

http://calsmith.org/event-2418120

Demonstrator list as of this posting:

Daniel Miller
Brett Moten
Monica Coyne
Tony Swatton
Gary Brown
Jay Burnham-Kidwell
Helmut Hillenkamp

There's a wide variety of projects slated for the education barn under the tutelage/lash of various guest instructors.  This is a coal forge zone, so read up a bit beforehand if you haven't had much time playing with them yet, they will show you how to do it but it makes it so much easier for you to learn if you do some homework beforehand!

The food is great and plentiful, I suggest adding the meal plan (so much easier...).  The museum itself is really cool to check out too, they have hundreds of old steam powered machines on the grounds and a vintage lineshaft powering tools in the barn off a really old kerosene (if memory serves) engine (fingers crossed that it's still in working order! :-D ).  The power hammers are a lot of fun :)

sound off if you will be attending!  I'll be flying an IFI T-shirt at least once, might figure out another insignia at some point, TBD.

hope to see some of you there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, Chinobi said:

Please do!  Great organization and Vista is indeed an awesome venue and event :) 

Well, as fate would have it, the first day of the Spring Conference is the day Mrs Taylor is to have her knee replaced :wacko:. I was quite looking forward to the event, and also hoping to check out the tailgaters for a fly press. Please anyone attending, strike an anvil or two a few hundred times for me. :rolleyes:

Robert Taylor

On March 9, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Anachronist58 said:

Well, as fate would have it, the first day of the Spring Conference is the day Mrs Taylor is to have her knee replaced :wacko:. I was quite looking forward to the event, and also hoping to check out the tailgaters for a fly press. Please anyone attending, strike an anvil or two a few hundred times for me. :rolleyes:

Robert Taylor

Anvils shall be struck as directed, with ferocity :)

good luck with the replacement, I hope there is little to no excitement involved, except that of successful completion!

• 1 month later...

I don't think I have see a schedule for demonstrator events yet either, just the hands on and workshop stuff.  I will be heading over there shortly so I will try to remember to ask, if we are lucky they will have a paper schedule for attendees that I can snap a pic of and post.

last call for the rest of you all to get your effects in order and get down to vista for the event!!

hope to see some of you soon :)

Here's a pic of the schedule, my understanding is that the greyed out boxes correspond to when that demonstrator will be demonstrating.  There is a LOT of overlap, there is always a project going at the education barn, project continuation/open forge on the lower lawn, and usually 3 demonstrations happening at the same time.

also some action shots of some of the demo's I caught in the afternoon; Jay Burnam-Kidwell using a hardie block and set hammer to forge out a tenon, and Tony Swatton showing a variety of sheet metal techniques on a scrap of aluminum.  Loads of fun and good times to be had if you can make it to the event :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg