I Forge Iron

checkering files

Dogsoldat

Anyone have a Canadian source for checkering files?  I know MidwayUsa and Brownells has them. Playing with a rifle stock right now and may need a checkering file to make a tool or two to correct a few errant lines.  I'm sure that somewhere in my travels I have had my hands on one.  but just where and when...  could have been when we helped Grandma move and was somewhere in the basement with an uncles tools that were divvied out...  at any rate need to make a jointing tool to adjust a few spots

DSC02925.thumb.JPG.4cc330296f736b7d1ae56ce8b1a4e04d.JPGDSC02930.thumb.JPG.3a30bc9221f114a798de97952dea2752.JPG

Dog ...,

I bought a set from Woodcraft, (in the U.S.) many years ago. I was then living in Montreal.  The company had just deleted the tool set from their catalogue. But a phone call determined that they still had the items in stock. I bought them by mail order. this was in the days before Amazon. 

You will only lose a little time phoning them and they just may be selling them again. Come to think of it, they may be back in their catalogue. Have a look.

Also, Google wood hand tool sellers. I just discovered that here are more of them than I realized.

Hope that helps.

Good luck in your search.

SLAG.

I miss Molson Export and Labatt 50.

Sigh.

Been googling a bunch of stuff lately.  Brain is turning to mush trying to keep it all straight.  :) 
Gotta bug someone else and the info you need pops right up next time your looking...  unless murphy strikes

Bought a set of Dem-bart checking tools for doing the woodworking end of things and off to a decent start. 

Trying to figure out if pillar files are the same as a checkering file...  haven't found a good enough picture to properly compare.  anyways that's enough moaning for now

I do a lot of checkering, more than I want!  Do you need to see a close up of a joiner tool, I can take one for you.  You could modify the right file for this propose, but remember the checkering groves are typically done with a 90 degree V cutter, so your joiner should match that profile for the best results.  I don't know what pillar files are, sorry.

I think pillar files and checkering files are the same thing.  Found this page and the different numbers equate to lines per inch http://www.ottofrei.com/Store/Glardon-Vallorbe-Precision-Files/Glardon-Vallorbe-Hand-Checkering-Precision-Files-LP1166.html

so a cut 0 would be a 30 lines per inch file which is what Monte Kennedy uses to cut teeth in his checking tools.  So  just need a few spare coins and I can order something from a few sites...

Thanks for the offer Stockmaker.  may just take you up on it.

Let us know how this turns out.  I noted that the checkering file you linked to is for doing lines in metal, cost is about $40, the cost of a ready made  joiner is about that same price.  My joiner has lasted 25 years without being sharpened.  But with the file, in addition to making your own joiner you may be able to sharpen the Dem Bart and Gunline cutters, which would be big as they ware out fast. 

• 5 months later...

Never did get any checkering files.  The checkering job has been done for a while.  A few flaws that blended in rather well once it was all finished up.  Far from perfect but for a cheap user quite satisfied with the end result.  Very grippy and does what I need it to do.  DSC02948.thumb.JPG.3d353948677dbe665e80f17dcd92b920.JPGDSC02950.thumb.JPG.b4a730630037e4ccbaf245944fae990b.JPGDSC02946.thumb.JPG.9f721fc7c03ce64ad202c1523c79c81b.JPGDSC02947.thumb.JPG.a3d5ca5869f15865964c3a2f94f25d0b.JPG