I Forge Iron

building my first coal / coke forge need a bit of advice

JT

Hello , I've been collecting parts to build my first coal / coke forge to get into blacksmithing as a hobby for now.. all items were preexisting and picked up cheaply.. right now I have $100.00 into everything including a blower ( not shown )  the forge stand is 53" X 37" made of 2" square 1/8" wall tubing... the blue rack is 40" X 20" and will be used to hold the fireplace insert of the same size. the opening of the insert will be closed down in the front to be used as a side draft hood.. I have a brake disc for a firepot but may buy a different one .. I am wondering what thickness steel to use as the floor of the forge ?? is 1/4" thick enough ?? or should it be thicker ?? any thoughts or advice about this set up would be appreciated and well taken.. thanks... JT 

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

16474[1].jpg

16475[1].jpg

20 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I don't think even Fred M has "enough" anvils but he does have a gracious plenty of them! Over 500 IIRC.

WOW !! well I'm way behind then !! lol  but...  I do have another one on the way its a mint 573 lb. Austrian Church Window.. should be arriving in the next couple weeks !! :D

3 hours ago, JT said:

573 lb. Austrian Church Window..

ahhh...Jealous....not only is it a nice big anvil, but its a church window....My dream anvil!

Littleblacksmith

25 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Do you plan to USE all of them?

but of coarse !! well.. I might sell a couple of the smaller ones... Do you think Fred M uses all his ?? ;) are you anvil poor and need to barrow one ?? :D

22 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

ahhh...Jealous....not only is it a nice big anvil, but its a church window....My dream anvil!

Littleblacksmith

I just found out that it just got on the move two days ago so it looks more like possibly towards the end of March.. coming with a large shipment for several buyers..