I Forge Iron

Refraction substance?

I would assume you are making a gas forge, so here's my two bits.

I use Kaowool to line my forge. For a coating to protect  the lining I use ITC-100 HT. It works pretty good though I had a interesting  time to try to apply it. Some people say to use a spray bottle, that didn't work so well I ended up using a foam brush and dabbing it on. You can find it on Anvil fire or High Temp Tools.

17 minutes ago, Clayton M. said:

I would assume you are making a gas forge, so here's my two bits.

I use Kaowool to line my forge. For a coating to protect  the lining I use ITC-100 HT. It works pretty good though I had a interesting  time to try to apply it. Some people say to use a spray bottle, that didn't work so well I ended up using a foam brush and dabbing it on. You can find it on Anvil fire or High Temp Tools.

Clayton - I'm also in the midst of building a propane forge, and have the Kaowool and ITC-100 on hand.  But I was wondering if a thin shell of refractory (1/4" or so) over the Kaowool before applying the ITC-100 would be a good idea to protect the fragile wool.  I'm thinking the ITC-100 is going to make a pretty thin layer, and may not provide much protection against ham-handed metal handling.  Your thoughts on that?  Thanks - Dave

I'd imagine that would work. I've never  tried putting refractory cement  over the wool. The wool is very good insulator and if you're careful then damaging  the wool shouldn't be a problem.  The cement even in small layers like that may act like a heat sink until the layer reaches temp.

What I do is just put a cut firebrick, a soft one, in the bottom of the forge to lay the work piece on. Then I try to be careful and not bang the lining up at all. If you  makes knives or something like that you shouldn't have too big of a problem with injuring the lining.

Read the attachment Build a Gas Forge on the Forge Supplies page at WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.  ITC-100 sells for about $75.00 per pint.  Plistix or Metrikote sell for around $15.00 to $20.00 per pint.  They all work and do about the same job.

The attachment explains why casting about 1/2" thick over the blanket, then painting a coat of one of the above products yields a better forge.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne