I Forge Iron

Hello!

Josh Rench

Hey everyone,

I finally joined after reading on here since ive been blacksmithing, about 6 months now. Just wanted to say hey and thanks for all the great information! It has definitely helped me a long the way!

There is also a rebar knife I made for a friend of mine, getting better each day I'm out there! Lol I told my wife I should never started blacksmithing, because now I have an addiction!

image.jpeg

Hi Josh, welcome to the addiction. 

At least great information and rebar knife weren't in the same sentence. :) I only say that as usually rebar is stated here a lot as not a good choice for knife material.  It is interesting, how did you do the name on it? 

That is neat. Best practice I have heard is to work with the steel that you intend to use so you get used to how it moves. Rebar will act a lot different under the hammer.  My personal thought Is if you are going to spend the time making a knife you are better to use the good steel in case you make a good one. Then it will actually be a good knife and not a mystery steel blade with unknown quality. Plus you will be able to improve on the steel you intend to use as far as heat treat etc.

Just my 2cents. 

4 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Best practice I have heard is to work with the steel that you intend to use so you get used to how it moves.

If you must practice and you're not going to use the good steel, use something that's closer to the good stuff. How coil or leaf spring responds under the hammer won't be the same as a new piece of good knife steel, but it will be closer than rebar.