I Forge Iron

New owner of an inline treadle hammer

I bought plans for 3 types of treadle hammers with the intent of building one this year. Plans changed last weekend when a local blacksmith decided to downsize his shop. I was able to purchase his Clay Spencer style inline treadle hammer. The Mississippi forge council did a group build somewhere around 2005-2006 and 12 of them were built. To my knowledge, this is the only one that's come up for sale. I was super happy to be able to get it. I had to put a new coat of paint on it but other than that, it doesn't look like it's seen much use. I'll be working on making tooling for it and cannot wait to put it to use. It has a few modifications from the original design in that the top hammer is 33 inches of solid 3 inch round and the anvil is solid 6 inch round, it's quite heavy duty and seems to hit HARD. 

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

Greetings Derek,

Treadle hammers are great tools and you have found a jewel.  I have 3 and tons of tooling. Just a little advice. Take the time and make hand held tooling first rather than dies.  A larger table with an off set hardy hole works well for holding spring swage tools. It will be your go to to tool Have fun.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Nice score but you've deprived yourself of the experience and satisfaction of building and correcting your own mistakes. Seriously a good score, congrats and please let us know how it works for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, a part of me wanted to make it but I've made several other tools, belt sanders, hydraulic presses, etc. It's actually nice to just have this one ready to use.