I Forge Iron

First forge build

Moostang

I'm building my first forge and would appreciate any input on what I have so far. I'm just getting into blacksmithing and I don't even know what I'm going to be making yet. For now it is portable and will be used outside. If it works well and I get into it more I may make it permanent.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Looks good so far. A weighted flapper cap will work well on your ash dump. 

im not sure how that thin sheet will work over the tuyere but hey, it isn't permenant. Try it with and without. 

What size pipe is on the top for the chimney?  

Looks like you are on the path to a usable forge. 

31 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Looks good so far. A weighted flapper cap will work well on your ash dump. 

im not sure how that thin sheet will work over the tuyere but hey, it isn't permenant. Try it with and without. 

What size pipe is on the top for the chimney?  

Looks like you are on the path to a usable forge. 

Thanks for the reply. I thought about a flapper cap, how often does it need to be emptied? The thin sheet I put over the tuyere was just because the coal I have has a lot of small pieces if it's not necessary I won't use it. It's an 8 inch chimney.

35 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

The good coal I use I'ed skip the plate and just burn it in the firepot with the 2 rebar bars across the air inlet.

Hopefully it's good coal. I got a 55 gallon drum of it (bituminous)

IMG_0271.JPG

After I clean my fire pot before starting I empty it and it has the most. Easier to get the ash down the tube then to scoop it out. Then later as I work the fire rarely but it's easy to just lift the flapper to empty it. No easy answer to how often. Forges and coal may vary. 

Try yours and see how it works. On my rotors I have a thicker plate with holes drilled for the air supply and to keep my fuel in the pot. The rebar works too. Again, try it and see. 

Chimneys work better around the 10-12" dia. Range. Not saying yours won't work but if you go permenant I would strongly suggest 10"-12". 12" being better.