I Forge Iron

Who's Got Gas??

For those of you that have MIG and/or TIG welding machines, what gas or gas mixtures do you use? If you use mixed gas, do you have a gas mixer or do you get it pre-mixed? What gas or mixed gas (and what percent of what gases) do you use on what material? ie- TIG, 100% ARGON for everything; MIG, 100% CO2 for plain carbon steel in short-circuit transfer; MIG, ARGON/HELIUM/O2 for stainless steel.

When I TIG at school, we use 100% ARGON with everything (plain carbon steel, stainless, aluminum). With MIG, we use 100% CO2. But sometimes, with the welders equipped with gas mixers, we mix ARGON and CO2. We only MIG plain carbon steel. Depending on what I'm welding is used for, I use either 100% CO2 or 65% CO2/35% ARGON (my personal preference).

i tig with 100% argon......i hate tig, anyway......thats just me., when i mig i use a mixer you can ofcourse buy mixed tanks, i prefer a mixer though because when u switch to spray and such you can alter your mix, plus you pay for a mixer once, you pay more for mixed tanks... i usually weld at 75%argon and 25% co2 for minimal spatter and best penetration 100% co2 is alot i dont really know how that would do never tried it, but its the end result that counts. if you pass a visual inspection or a guided bend test with your preferred mix well why not.

• 3 weeks later...

Tig I use 100% argon MIG mild steel and general work is 100% CO2, it's cheaper and you can work easier with less than perfect materials, rust. Mig stainless is tri mix CO2, argon, and helium. Mig Aluminum is argon only. Most of my work is with the stick welder because I can go anywhere wind, rain, hot, or cold.

• 1 month later...

Anybody ever heard of Moon Gone (Moongone) gas for MIG? Dunno if it's a brand name or what. A guy I know said it makes it weld hotter for better penetration. My welding supplier confirmed its existence, but had little more info on it. BTW, I too use 75/25 at home and at work for solid wire on steel. At work we used straight co2 for flux core wire and submerged arc on steel, and straight argon on aluminum.

• 4 weeks later...