I Forge Iron

Power Hammers and Other Large Equipment

Hey guys. At the risk of annoying everyone, I want to speak my mind concerning the American economy. Free trade agreements are really messing with our future, especially the one with China.
That said, I want to encourage everyone to investigate the manufacturers and distibutors of power hammers, air compressors, lathes, drill presses, etc. Big Blu, Iron Kiss, Phoniex Forging Hammers(who are now making a 160# Prodigy for way less $ than their large hammers), KA hammers all make great machines that are built right here in the USA. Strikers and Anyang, as most people know, are made in China. I think that with the great power hammer options we have here, it would not be very patriotic to purchase on from China.
Industrial Gold makes an amazing air compressor(7.5 HP single phase) that will deliver more than enough cfm for a utility hammer. They are priced nice as well.
Please reply with more ideas, your criticism, etc.

I'll buy American when I can, but there's limits.

When I needed a new vertical mill, I had a choice; one of several dozen imports, anything used, or a new American.

The problem with choice two is, being in Alaska, I'd be buying sight-unseen. That's okay for an anvil or a hammer, but stupid for a precision machine tool. eBay is chock-full of dealers that wave an angle grinder with a wire cup wheel over a rusty government scrap-auction tool, slap a coat of industrial grey on it, and shill-bid the thing up to the price of a good Boeing castoff.

And the problem with choice three is there's precisely one manufacturer of Bridgeport-sized manual mills in the US, which is, of course, Bridgeport, which is now a small division of Hardinge.

Who, as it turns out, has most of their large castings made in China anyway.

My Grizzly 9x42" 2HP vertical knee mill, a Taiwanese import, cost me $4,600, shipped to my doorstep. An essentially identical Bridgeport was going to be $17,500 before it even got loaded onto the truck.

How about a lathe? A Grizzly 13" is around $3,000. The only people that even make a lathe that size in the US is Monarch, who make them mainly for the military, and they start at $55,000. That's not a typo.

I would love to have a real Bridgeport. I would love to have a shiny new Monarch. Xxxx, I'd rather have Baldor buffers and grinders than these cheap imports. But the import is $90 and the Baldor is $400.

I'm nowhere near rich, and self-employed. I'd love to buy an American car that's not built from 87% Asian parts and assembled in Mexico, I'd love to buy drills and hand power tools made from aluminum and magnesium with real ball bearings, but they don't even make those anymore. Our "American" cars are made in Japan and our Japanese cars are made in the US. Ford and GM tried to force congress to legislate an advantage over the imports instead of building a better product- and those unions didn't help much either.

The best I can do is buy quality tools when I can. I'll spend a little more to get a better, longer lasting tool, but I don't always have the luxury of paying huge premiums to have an "All American" tool that often really isn't all that much better than an import that costs a quarter the price.

Doc.

I think people should put aside such boundaries and buy what's best .. .be it that it's made by their country or not ...

but when the difference is not that big ..one should buy products made by his own country.

Last time i said something about China . . it was deleted ..so we better talk about such things in chat ...where you can get things off your chest faster.