I Forge Iron

Kitchen Utility Knife

Matthew D

3 hours ago, rhitee93 said:

D2 is a bugger to forge!

Amen to that.  It is dang tough.  My best experience is to heat it up to a bright red and let it soak in the fire for 15 minutes or more.  Then heat it up to yellow and start smashing. 

This Chipper steel I have was all free and makes a great knife, so I have used it quite a bit.  I reclaimed the steel from a logging outfit in Anchor Point, Alaska.  below are some links about Chipper.  Although I don't have the ability to heat treat and temper it according to the data sheet, I have found that for a knife, the steel is pretty forgiving for a steel smasher like me.  My father and I have made many many hunting knives from it just forging it on a coal fire.  The new owners love them and the knives have skinned all sorts of Alaskan beasts over the last 15 years..  

http://uddeholm.com/products/cold-work-tool-steel/uddeholm-chipper 

http://www.bucanada.ca/viking_chipper_c.htm  this has a data sheet on it.  This one says Viking/Chipper so I assume the data sheet is for both?

Anyhow, if you live in an area where there are logging operations, they have lots of chipper blades which are just discarded.  Just ask.  Make something for them and ask for more.  That usually does the trick and its always great to return the favor.  I made a knife for a friend who was the supply manager and he loved the knife.  He gave me all the old chipper blades I could haul off.  He told me he used it for two hunting seasons in a row and skinned his moose and friends.  He never sharpened it for two seasons or more.  He actually complained it was TOO sharp.  Kept cutting holes in the hide.  Oh well.  Wish I would have hauled it all off.  

It isn't D2, but it is similar.  It is called Chipper.  The blades are about 1/4 inch thick and 2x10 inches.  They have a cross section that looks like a zigzag and they are sharp on both edges.  They  have to be forged flat to do anything with.   I'll post a picture later.