I Forge Iron

What is this? A knife for ANTS?

Iron Poet

I was making a Damascus skinning knife as a Christmas present and I forgot to take a picture of it. I did however have a small piece of stock left over, so I decided to make a neck knife out of it. It's about 2" overall, oil quenched with no tempering, and even though I've never made a knife with a dagger point it is still incredibly sharp.

Overall it was a fun attempt at recycling.

DSCF4028.JPG

DSCF4029.JPG

Its a shame the pattern didnt really come through on it. I do like the idea of recycling the little bits of damascus left over from projects. Just seems such a wast to scrap it. I have also never attempted a dagger point myself but the lines on yours look pretty close to symetrical which is imoressive, especially for a first attempt. Why didnt you temper it if you dont mind my asking?

Cool and unique design. I would definitely recommend tempering. If you drop it, there's a chance it could even shatter. You also might want to try Kydex or rawhide for the sheath. That way you could make it "grab" the blade so you could hang it upside down. The way it is now, it would be tricky to draw it with one hand.

1 hour ago, Dustin Quade said:

Its a shame the pattern didnt really come through on it. I do like the idea of recycling the little bits of damascus left over from projects. Just seems such a wast to scrap it. I have also never attempted a dagger point myself but the lines on yours look pretty close to symetrical which is imoressive, especially for a first attempt. Why didnt you temper it if you dont mind my asking?

I did all the shaping by hand, just some files and sandpaper. it was surprisingly easy to keep even. I didn't temper it because it's so small that I thought hardness was better than toughness because you really don't have a lot of material to resharpen, and it's hard to apply enough force to break it with a thumb and forefinger.

1 hour ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Cool and unique design. I would definitely recommend tempering. If you drop it, there's a chance it could even shatter. You also might want to try Kydex or rawhide for the sheath. That way you could make it "grab" the blade so you could hang it upside down. The way it is now, it would be tricky to draw it with one hand.

It was just a little experiment so I do agree it could use some work, I'm not a leatherworker or sheath maker so it's a little rough.