I Forge Iron

WIP Ribbon Burner.

brianstucker

crappiew,  Very nice build, and I like your color choice for the pipe.  It looks like it's running great, how about giving us some specs on how you built it?

For instance, it looks like you used an old water heater tank, what is the internal CI after insulating and interior length?  It looks like you used about 32 crayons for orfices, what kind of WC is your blower rated for?  And finally, is that a PID controller, and not just a DRO for the temperature? 

Thanks for sharing. 

I used an old 100lb propane bottle cut down to 21 inches for the forge body. The internal dimensions are  8.5 in tall and 9.5 inches wide.  The pid I used is programmed to read temp. I think I got around 70$ into the homemade pyrometer. It is lined with 2in kawool . The bottom and sides is cast with mizzou. And it has a couple of heavy coats of matrikote 90 ac on it.  It does great but goes through the propane. Im in the process of building a mini 11 hole version. I have already cast the the burner head. And almost have the forge body done. It was already a planned build. Its gonna go next to the big mamma version.

20161228_211458.jpg

20161231_135747.jpg

The propane delivery orfiace is a reducing T to accept a 1/8th in schedule 80 pipe nipple. The pipe nipple it tapped to accept a mig tip. I dont recall the tap size. The mig tip is drilled to a 5/64ths. I will take photos of the next one I do.

20161225_203144.jpg

20161212_111843.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.  I bet you can watch the needle on your propane tank moving down with the big mama version.  What will be the ID of the new forge?    That's  an interesting diffuser you made kinda, shaped like a jet turbine. 

With your burner mounted at a tangent, is your Mizzou brought up to the other side for the flame face? 

I noticed that not many people are making a safety solenoid shut off switch on these in case the electricity goes out.  Also, on the pine ridge burners it looks like they are using tubing pressed into a secondary baffle plate between the plenum and burner block to eliminate leaks.

I'm gonna put a safety solonied in my system. I just have to order them.

That matrikote 90 is also a hard coat but is is weak compared to the mortar. I coated the entire inside forge with 2 heavy coats. And matrikote is also helps retard flames.

It was a Long testing process with this set up. I feel confident with it. I tested the burner relentlessly. Must of had it apart and assembled 20 different times. I made it to where it can be totally disassembled accept for the cart I made.

Excellent photos and good idea on the solenoids!  Tell us, what kinda blower are you using to power these?  It's my understanding that a water column of at least 5 is needed for these to work decent.  Also, how did you develop your jet style diffuser idea? 

I am using a 164 cfm blower from blacksmith depot. I am in the process of testing the small 11 hole ribbon burner. I think its getting a little too much propane. I used a 1/8 in bit on that mig tip. I think Im going down to 1/16th in on the mig tip. I got the air diffuser idea from some of these homade foundry burners. They are simple to make. I will take some pics of the one I build tomorrow.

Just scored a 200gal propane tank from my propane guy. It was 250$. He's gonna come set it for me in the next day or so. I figured by the time I fiddle fart around with getting these smaller tanks and getting them filled. I won't have to worry about it. And plus he will come and fill it when I need it. We use propane in our house and pre buy it in the summer and its a lot cheaper. 

I got the small forged with Kawool and rigidizer. Gonna line it with mizzou tomorrow. Looks like the ID will be around 5.5 inches.  Sorry for the repost of the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I put quick disconnects on them. I've got the small one painted. Still have to wire in the thermocouple. With the small fan on it it will roughly get to 1850 degrees. I could put a bigger blower on it and easily get to forge welding heat. But I'm gonna just leave it alone and strictly use it for just getting metal to temp to forge. And use the bigger one for forge welding. 

• 3 months later...