I Forge Iron

Handle material

Not for sure where to post this, so here it is. Has anyone ever stacked and glued up pieces of flooring tiles to make handle material? I know it's kind of far out, but I saw some green,  blue, and gray tiles the other day and brought some home. I haven't glued any up yet, but I cut a few into scale sized pieces. They do kind of have a chalky residue when you cut them. Any experience? This may be a fruitless endeavour. I'll post the success or failure. Thanks.

Be cautious.  Some of the older floor tiling has significant asbestos content.  I've been on a number of construction sites where the tile flooring had to be abated before construction could start.  I would be especially careful of any flooring with a "chalky" residue.  If nothing else a good quality respirator when processing, and encapsulation thereafter.  Personally I'd just not use it, but YMMV.

Thomas,  agreed, as usual.  I just couldn't imagine anyone using ceramic tiles for handle material.  It is hard, brittle and difficult to shape without diamond tools and/or wet belt sanders, not to mention drill holes in and rivet.  Most knife makers don't have those tools, and I can't imagine why you would want to go with ceramic tile handles when so many better materials are around.  Of course that doesn't explain why I keep dreaming about getting out my glass equipment and heading down to Corning to blow some handle blanks...  Think twisted, fluted glass handles.  Totally impractical.:rolleyes:

Latticino, do some fancy engraving or etching on the tang underneath some clear scales; or do some diamond tool work on the back of the glass handle scale.  Lots of stuff sells for pretty or unusual....Who would use mother of pearl or jade as many makers have done....

If you've got a skill FLAUNT IT!