I Forge Iron

Burner spits and sputters

Percivalfab

I have built a zoller style burner with a fire brick forge and got it all tuned in the vice and when i put the burner in the forge and put a brick over the opening to get some heat going the burner starts to sputter and i have tryed everything adjusting pressure, choke and tip location if anyone has any input that would be helpful 

If the burner worked fine out in the open air, and only started acting up after you installed it, first take the burner back out of the forge and see if the problem goes away; if yes, you have a problem with the forge; if no, check for debris in the gas jet. If there is some, unscrew the MIG tip, and poke it out with a set of torch tip cleaners. If the problem returns, check the fuel hose for debris, too. Since there are so many possible sources for obstructions in the hose, including spider nests, you will want  to blow it out with a high pressure air hose.

If the problem is with the forge, look it over for partial obstructions of the flame. Finally, the burner could simply be to large for the forge, and you will have to build a smaller burner, to get around the problem of too much back pressure against the burner; this is unlikely...but possible.

Long ago, in a hobby far, far, away...I encountered my first clogged gas jet; it was in a 1/2" burner I had given to a buddy about a month before; he swore that the burner couldn't have gotten clogged that fast, and would not even look at the MIG contact tip. Obviously, something must be wrong with my darned burner  (bad Mikey; evil Mikey). So, I took a twenty mile trip to his place, and poked a torch tip cleaner through it...and out came a nasty little ball of tar; mystery solved.

No; I wasn't mad at him. I just gave him an "I told you so" grin. It isn't often I get to upstage a friend like that, since I try to make sure that all of them are a LOT smarter than me :rolleyes:

Looking back at what you said; first take the brick out of the forge opening; does the burner suddenly run okay? Slowly begin closing down the exhaust opening bit by bit with the the brick again, until you encounter the problem, and then back off some.

Thank you for the input i have checked the jet and removed the burner and worked fine. My forge is made of brick 6.5"x6.5"x14" and i have a single burner i wouldn't think that the forge would be to small, the forge is open on both sides and i have bricks on either side to act as doors the the burner works fine with both doors open and as soon as i close one side it starts acting up and goes completely out if i shut both sides 

Pull your burner out of your forge till the nozzle is JUST inside the brick wall. You can see how backed up the flame is against the floor of the forge, making it sputter. When the back pressure shuts it down the pressure drops and it can burn again making the back pressure spike killing the flame. Over and over.

Tune burners WHERE you're going to use them.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

:rolleyes:

Very good, Frosty. I think it would be nice if someone knowledgeable, gathered up all the available stories like this one, and started a troubleshooting thread  for new burners and forges; alas, my plate is full...

Access to old posts with pics and videos and some editing. This very diagnosis has been made I don't know how many times already. Folk don't read the stickies anyway. Ron told you why he stopped answering burner questions, what 20+ years ago, didn't he?

Frosty The Lucky.