I Forge Iron

Size material for an axe

Hey guys, i just got asked to make a viking style axe for someone and im trying to figure out what size material i should go with, i was thinking 2in round should work as it will be a relatively small axe, around 3lbs or less, and a edge around 6in. 

so, does a 2in round bar of 4140 sound like a good choice? or do you have any other recommendations.

thanks

Noel

Is this a wood chopping axe or a weapon axe?  "Viking" doesn't specify!  

Save for the Danish great axes fighting axes are usually *lighter* than chopping ones as heavy = slow and slow = dead on the battle field.  a 3# axe will be heavier than most swords of the period for instance.

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

Is this a wood chopping axe or a weapon axe?  "Viking" doesn't specify!  

Save for the Danish great axes fighting axes are usually *lighter* than chopping ones as heavy = slow and slow = dead on the battle field.  a 3# axe will be heavier than most swords of the period for instance.

Lol, that's a very good question... The person aparently will be mainly using it as a decoration, but wants it to,be the real deal( their words not mine) 

This is the pic they sent as an example DS-1742.png

Ahh making it to their fantasy rather than based on an original.  (and yes I am smiling)  Will you be doing a fold and weld or a slit and drift for the eye?  Will you be using real wrought iron and a steeled edge? Will you actually be charging enough!?    I would be using real wrought iron for the body and 1050-1084 for the edge---or a pattern welded edge.  4140 is a bit lower carbon than I would use; but easier to source/work.

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh making it to their fantasy rather than based on an original.  (and yes I am smiling)  Will you be doing a fold and weld or a slit and drift for the eye?  Will you be using real wrought iron and a steeled edge? Will you actually be charging enough!?    I would be using real wrought iron for the body and 1050-1084 for the edge---or a pattern welded edge.  4140 is a bit lower carbon than I would use; but easier to source/work.

im going to make it a little more realistic than the picture sent, but i plan on slit and drifting it.. while i can forge weld, im not comfortable welding a piece that large. and while i realize that 4140 may not be the best steel for edge holding, since it will be a wall hanger mostly i figure that it should hold up well enough, and i would rather it be tougher rather than harder if they do ever decided to do something with it. i will however be looking for a piece of like 1080, 1075 etc to use instead, but right now i have a source for the 4140 so that is at least a backup plan. and i think im charging enough, priced out my materials/ time and went off of that... does 200  sound about right?

Is this a new item for you to forge?  If so expect to need to make more than one.   I can't set a price on your time for you.   I work with a lot of scrap and just sourced a HUGE rock breaker bar, old school, that will probably go for items needing a lot of medium-high C plain steels.  Really need to get the powerhammer running to work it though...my wife was not enthused to be holding the cold end of a 12' long 4"x5/16" strap I was working last night. (Though after 32 years married to me she is probably resigned...)

Are you piercing and drifting the eye? If so I would use the 2" 4140 but I would trim the starting weight down to around 1.75 lbs for the style in the photo. If its a one time deal hammering it out from say 2"d x 3"lg won't hurt you but if it's going to be an everyday thing I would be looking for 3/4-1" x 2" to save a lot of hammering. The style axe in the photo should be fast in the hand. It will feel a lot better at a finish end weight of 1.5lbs or less.

26 minutes ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Are you piercing and drifting the eye? If so I would use the 2" 4140 but I would trim the starting weight down to around 1.75 lbs for the style in the photo. If its a one time deal hammering it out from say 2"d x 3"lg won't hurt you but if it's going to be an everyday thing I would be looking for 3/4-1" x 2" to save a lot of hammering. The style axe in the photo should be fast in the hand. It will feel a lot better at a finish end weight of 1.5lbs or less.

That was the plan, and this is a 1 time thing... Or close to it... Going to use the extra metal from it for hammers. But I'll see if I can find a 1x2 piece