I Forge Iron

My SB Shaper

I'ld spin the vice round 90 deg before you use it :)

what do you intend using it for? - in my experience the reason they sit unused for years is they are not very versatile at all.

I had a lovely decent sized 'ALBA' and it went to the big recyclers in the sky :(

They are handy for cutting dovetails on very small hammer die blocks (slowly)

One hint - dont over tighten the stroke adjustment clamp when you use it, then when the tool digs in and jams (which it will) it will slip, and save the tool / workpiece smashing.

name a few bob :) , other than skimming die block dovetails.

Simple gear cutting
Cutting internal and external splines on driveshafts
Fettling operations on castings
Machining rack and pinion gears
Cutting shoulders or making deep grooves
T-Slots
Dovetails

You can even machine curves if you are clever.

There's a good reason that many machine shops have a dusty shaper in a dark corner, they do jobs that mills can't and you can make your own tooling without the help of a cutter/grinder.

Simple gear cutting
Cutting internal and external splines on driveshafts
Fettling operations on castings
Machining rack and pinion gears
Cutting shoulders or making deep grooves
T-Slots
Dovetails

went back to dovetails there ! - Im a pretty good machine operator and getting a small shaper to even skim you a flat face is tricky and time consuming enough (with tool push off and drag)

they are good for internal keyways if youve got an angle plate.

Im just not convinced of their use in a blacksmiths shop. sorry.

Nice grab Bob!

Hey John, Just a few questions.
1). What's wrong with the vice in that orientation?
2). not being sure of you background with powerhammers, what is your definition of a "very small hammer die block"?

I'd have to agree with Imagedude on a lot of points. For the 140ish dollars I spent on mine, and about 30-40 dollars worth of cutters from the 'Bay, I've got enough to cover probably 80% of the BLACKSMITH related machining I need to do. No I am not going to try to plane engine heads with it, or try using it to machine something with 0.0001" clearance. I am using/plan on using the shaper mostly for jigs, dies for my IrnSrgn style guillotine tool, stuff like that. For that stuff, 0.01" is fine, 0.001" is a thing of beauty.

Imagedude: "blacksmithing levels of accuracy" Can I get permission to use that for my signature line? I love it.

-Aaron @ the SCF

The vise is loose from when i carried it in.
I have about 100 small gears to cut.
I have tooling to cut internal keyways.
I had a 32" shaper but it was just way too big . I will find lots of things to make to go with my lathe's. I will post some more pics as i go...Bob

hey bob - I would class that more as machine shop work !

from my experience they are a tricky machine to get to do much other than very light skimming. Even with well ground tooling, and the machine set up as rigid as you can the tool will still 'push off' for the 1st 1/4" of the cut, requiring multiple passes to get semi-flat.

Any metal tougher than Mild steel causes even more problems.

I class a small die block as less than 4" along the dovetail.

The orientation of the vice is usually set so the work cannot be pushed through the jaws (ie the cutting load should be into the jaw).

Perhaps they are just not for me!

Hey John.
Thanks for answering the questions. As for the die block I am guessing you mean what can be done with the particular shaper shown here. I haven't tried it (and probably will never have a need to) but I am almost sure my 14" Walcott would handle a 12" long die block with a little patience on the operators part.
I asked about the orientation, because when cutting die stock for my IrnSrgn style guillotine tool, I have the vise jaws parallel with the ram stroke. I've been cutting 10" of 3/4x3" HR die stock at one time (putting more or less a tenon on each edge), as I find taking a 10" stroke is easier (and faster) than cutting each 1" thick piece separately. I then just chop off however much I need for a particular die from this longer piece. Anyways, I was worried that running the vise oriented like that might be doing some harm to the machine I wasn't aware of. But with the total area of the 8"x2" jaw bearing down on the workpiece, I think I have enough of a grip to prevent much .

Thanks,
-Aaron @ the SCF

hey bob - I would class that more as machine shop work !
The orientation of the vice is usually set so the work cannot be pushed through the jaws (ie the cutting load should be into the jaw).

Hi John, Yes the metal should push against the jaw when cutting to save it from sliding out. And yes it is more machine shop work that is alot of what i do when i am not welding or bending metal. In the winter i work out of my basement that is where all my machines are because it warm down there with my boiler heat where my shop is cold right now because i have the heat off, my gas bill is high enough. You just need more practice making big pcs into small pcs. I had a shaper that would cut 1" deep on a pass but you would have to slow the feed way down. I know my little guy won't do that but it will do what i need done...Bob

• 7 months later...

Nice job! I like my little Alba shaper I rescued from the scrapyard.

Shapers have been replaced by more advanced technology, my Saturday morning job was making ratchets for pit prop pullers when coal mines had wooden pit props, these could not easily be done on other types of machinery, now they could be laser cut quite easily.

Very satisfying to use, and versatile, had to cut some internal keyways the other day, and I would have struggled without it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...