I Forge Iron

harbor- freight anvil?

during the arts and ag festival in our county this year,I met a blacksmith named chris kelly who was demonstrating. i am new to blacksmithing and don't have any tools yet. i asked him what anvil to get and he said that 20 lb harbor-freight  anvils are real good ones. from what i have read here, it seems like maybe they are not. also, is 20 lb to light? 

A 4x4x8" chunk of steel like they are selling right over there will be a much superior anvil to a HF cast iron ASO.  I've owned a HF ASO and we makde it into a propane stove to heat coffee at blacksmithing conferences.  Drilled like butter and had so much graphite in it you could use it for a pencil.

I don't know, but i think this is some dumb joke. I know Chris Kelly, and I know he would not have recommended a HF anvil. I also know the ''tall skinny'' guy, and is by no means ''way better'' than Kelly. I understand that Tc2 also knows Kelly, as well as the ''tall skinny'' guy and i have no doubt he will agree with me. In the mean time ,memyselfandI, I would suggest that you keep your opinions on a blacksmith's ability to yourself, as they may be offensive to others.

I don't know who you are, but I agree that Chris a very skilled smith. I have no authority on this forum, but I would ask that you , pureluck, would express your opinions in a kinder way. I hope you do not take offence or see this as a personal attack on you, i just want our forum to stay a friendly place.

I have the 55 lb harbor freight anvil... It works okay for the money, I suppose; but after 2 solid months of forging, mine already looks more beat up than grandpas 100+ yr old anvil. 

Then again, I got it for free, so I'm not complaining.