I Forge Iron

I simply don't get it either, but from reading many threads/posts on the popular Facebook Blacksmith Community forums, folks have no intention to learn basic skills such hammer control as nails, scrolling hooks, candle holders and simple welding techniques. They jump right into swords and say old school is bunk, but don't quite employ the term "Bunk" if you catch my point.

I think the popular TV shows have forged (pun intended) a new era of wanna be smiths who are a flash in the pan.Not something new, mind you.....my guitar instructor has seen plenty of kids arrive demanding to learn an ACDC or Metalica etc.song and skip basic format.

14 minutes ago, SReynolds said:

I simply don't get it either, but from reading many threads/posts on the popular Facebook Blacksmith Community forums, folks have no intention to learn basic skills such hammer control as nails, scrolling hooks, candle holders and simple welding techniques. They jump right into swords and say old school is bunk, but don't quite employ the term "Bunk" if you catch my point.

I think the popular TV shows have forged (pun intended) a new era of wanna be smiths who are a flash in the pan.Not something new, mind you.....my guitar instructor has seen plenty of kids arrive demanding to learn an ACDC or Metalica etc.song and skip basic format.

I think the big problem is instant gratification. My generation is hooked on it. Its not just blacksmithing its everything. My high school shop class first day kids that have never touched a tape measure before let alone a hammer or a saw want to build some piece of  fine furniture or the other before they ever learn the basics

There used to be an effective treatment for such idiocy---cf  The Darwin Award; unfortunately schools are very down on allowing students to self implement it these days.

When I get a student who doesn't want to do the basic foundation work; well they cease being a student of mine. (Much along the thread about customers you want your *competitor(s)* to have).

2 hours ago, SReynolds said:

14 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

There used to be an effective treatment for such idiocy---cf  The Darwin Award; unfortunately schools are very down on allowing students to self implement it these days.

When I get a student who doesn't want to do the basic foundation work; well they cease being a student of mine. (Much along the thread about customers you want your *competitor(s)* to have).

Perhaps if secondary education was more geared towards apprenticeship like settings where students who knew what their plans for after high school were would be able to experience the work environment of the careers they choose before wasting time and money on degree they won't use.